• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Should I carry a spare battery, or a pocket charger?

oleandere

Lurker
Nov 22, 2011
Hi,

I travel a lot by bike and public transit, so risk running out of juice on my Fascinate, with no outlet around to recharge it.

What do you think would be the most convenient/least hassle to carry around: A spare 1500mah battery; or a pocket battery charger? What happens when you take the battery out of the phone and put a spare in; does it reset everything? You'd have to stop your phone call, at a minimum, right?

If a battery-operated pocket charger is the answer, I'd want one that will take rechargeable NiMH AA or AAA batteries, because I own a nice battery charger for those.

The idea of an *extended* battery does not appeal for some reason. It is expensive, and I like how slim the phone is without it.

- Lisa T.

when I used to use the fascinate I bought us (my wife and I) two spare batteries and an external battery charger. I used to always carry an extra battery with me in my pocket though I rarely used it.

I found this to be the best option for me. I don't know much
about the external battery chargers but it may be a good alternative to carrying an extra battery. Now that I don't use my fascinate (for my phone anyway), my wife essentially has 4 batteries to use and NEVER has to plug her phone in (just swaps the battery).

Upvote 0
I have the same setup as Leonard above. Charger at work, charger at home and 4 batteries that I rotate around. Always one in each charger, 1 in the phone and one in the pocket.

So nice to go from 5% charge to 100% in 30 seconds when I pop in that new clip.

It sounds like a pain and it sounds cumbersome but honestly it's not. You could almost fit the spare battery in your wallet that's how thin it is. It really took some getting used to going from this setup to an iPhone without removable battery... though the iPhone seems to charge quickly and the battery doesn't drain as quickly.

Either way, the spare battery/external battery charger setup for the fascinate is really the way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones