Should I DROP Sprint?

Last Updated:

1. joe123

joe123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.

I just got the Sprint HTC Hero with the usual 30 days evaluation. I've been a long time Sprint customer and I will be out of contract soon (unless I keep the HTC Hero).

I love the HTC, but don't like Sprint (customer service really sucks). What, in your opinion is the best service provider for the money for the HTC phones?

Advertisement
  2. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

I keep hearing that Sprint's customer service sucks and I don't understand. When I got my first phone my rebate was denied because the store rep filled out the card wrong. The manager, when I got my second phone, overheard me tell the rep when he was filling out my card for the rebate on that phone can came over and told the rep to add a credit for the amount of the rebate to my account. Later someone hacked my pin, added a phone to my account, and my phone suddenly stopped working. I was in NJ (I live in Houston) without a Sprint retailer around. Over the phone customer service fixed my account, gave me all the information they had on the person who activated a phone on my account so I could give it to law enforcement, and gave me 60 days credit for less than a 4 hour outage. When my phone took a coke bath and I needed it for an out of town trip and the TEP provider couldn't get one to me for two weeks my local Sprint store upgraded my phone with full discounts even though I was only six months into my contract. I haven't had any problems with customer service.

As far as phones go it looks like Sprint is on the Android train to stay and until the Android phones Sprint was quick to put out new HTC hardware. If you like HTC I would stay with Sprint.

3. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Customer service aside, what else dont you like about Sprint? Its been my experience that CS pretty much sucks everywhere these days.

The answer to your question, whos the best service provider for the money, is going to vary, and vary a great deal. Location is a big reason, as not everyone gets the same call quality, or 3g speeds in all areas. So what might be great in one area, could completely suck in yours.

Cost is another. Some people are happy paying higher prices for what they feel is better service. Like VZ. Hell some people are even happy paying higher prices for worse service, but better phones. Im looking at you AT&THieves.

Your best bet would be to talk to your friends, family and co-workers in your area. Ask them how much they pay, what they think of their service. It'll net you far better results in the end.

4. daryelv

daryelv Member

I just read an article last week that ranked the providers...

T-mobile : A-
    Sprint : B+
    Verizon: B+
    AT&T : C+

AT&T used to be tops in customer service years ago (when they were Cingular), but they now suck (my personal experience trying to get DSL setup was a disaster). Sprint used to suck years ago but has made big strides in improving their customer service. The just have a bad reputation from years ago, but really, they are much much better. I never have any issues with customer service with Sprint. When I called AT&T I felt like I got ripped off every time I got off the phone. When I called Sprint, I felt satisfied that the problem was taken care of. Not to mention the hold times for AT&T were worse than calling an airline (45-90 minutes) and I usually get through to Sprint in 5 minutes or less.

5. poor_red_neck

poor_red_neck Active Member

I gotta go with what other guys are saying....

I think the bad CS rep is just word of mouth still getting around from the late 90s early 2000s.... when they DID suck.

I've been with them for 7 years now and I personally think their CS is phenomenal. I have NEVER had an issue... then again I don't have to call them very often, which says alot IMO.

In my area they have the best plan options hands down and the 3G coverage is VERY fast for me... about 1500kbps constant with bursts in the 2000s sometimes.

6. Critical5

Critical5 Member

I just switched back to Sprint and I wish I never left. I always got good reception, and the price could not be beat. Two years ago when I left they were messing my bill up every month. I had to call and have them fix it, but they always would. I left for the iPhone, and found out the At&t service sucks where I live, and I was paying a lot more. Then I switched to Verizon, and there service also wasn't as good as Sprints, and I was paying with Verizon, and had much less (no data plan). I made the switch back and got the Pre, I couldn't stand the phone, so I switched to the Hero. I LOVE this phone and I am saving so much money.

7. Sabre66

Sabre66 Well-Known Member

You will have occassional issues with any service provider. Weigh the higher costs of other carriers and the coverage/service of your area before changing.

I was considering a switch before Sprint announced the Hero because they've never had the best phone selection. I'm so glad I didn't. The Hero is an awesome device and Sprint's Unlimited Data plans are the cheapest out there. Plus the addition of the new "Any Mobile Anytime" makes it the best choice possible...IMHO.

8. steb0ne

steb0ne Member

I agree with that. Most people talking about Sprint's CS are relying on word of mouth. They have made a noticeable improvement on CS. But, in general CS is down with MOST companies now anyway. Sprint's plans are by far the best value. If you get good coverage, I'd say keep Sprint.

9. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

I also just came back to Sprint after leaving to go to the iphone and At&t. I can tell you that at least in my area. Sprint has the best plans and the best coverage. Their customer service is on par with the rest of the industry and now thanks to the Hero, Moment, Pre, Pixie, and Blackberry's they have the best lineup of phones. Sprint is unbeatable, unless the bad stigma continues. I hope it turns around for Sprint as they truly are the best company out right now.

10. joe123

Thanks all. I have been with Sprint for 13+ years and CS is horrid without going into details.

It may be that it's better now and I am hopeful that they have changed.

My last 5 recent (this month) exchanges with Sprint have been no different. They say one thing, do another Bait & Switch. Everything ends with "we apologize for the mis-information" followed by a call from India from a person who begins to spell out each and every single letter and cannot comprehend jack.

I currently have the Everything Data Plan 1500 minutes on 4 phones - $129 + 40 for 2 extra lines. What is the best plan now for the money at Sprint? I am thinking that since the Hero does Wi-Fi, I may not need the data plan any longer and go with a cheaper plan?

11. Sabre66

Sabre66 Well-Known Member

I just switched to the plan you have. I previously had the Family Messaging 1500. It's $99.99/mo so with your 2 extra lines add $40.

Honestly tho i'd suggest keeping your plan because all lines would have data which can get expensive if someone accidentally accesses it on a plan without.

FYI - A similar data plan on AT&T for just 2 lines is $180/mo.

12. joe123

My previous phone was the Instinct and I had to have the data plan.

Since the HTC Hero has Wi-Fi, I imagine I can use that for Internet access (where it is available) and not have to use Sprint data network.

So I just need to add texting on all 4 lines. Any other plan that is similar with Sprint or with another carrier?

I am thinking that it's a waste of money to pay for Internet access from a carrier when the phone has Wi-Fi and I have Wi-Fi at work and at home.

13. Wams

Wams Active Member

ill take bad CS and a very low bill with a great network and great service over a s s kissing CS and a huge bill with terriable service. I'm a agent for a government agency and my CS is top NOTCH. but who needs CS more than once in awhile. So if your calling CS weekly and they suck then u have to do what u have to do!!! but i probably call CS 3-4 a year, so its no issue.

Why do people need / call CS so often?????

14. CEREC

CEREC New Member

Years ago Sprint CS was really poor. Long phone call waits etc. Today, Sprint and ATT are both great. Verizon poor. My family has all three services, and I prefer to deal with Sprint the best. Best prices also. That is why we are all switching to Sprint as the contracts expire.

15. joe123

Here is ONE real life example:

Got new Sprint Bill and notice a service was added to my account which I did not request. Call Sprint to remove it. 4 Calls later, it finanlly got removed and two more services were added ( found 2 new services a month later when I got new bill ).

Called Sprint 15 more times to remove the other 2 services I did not authorired. Five of those 15 calls is to tell Sprint that I don't want someone from India calling me because they don't comprehend jack and it is pure hell dealing with people who you cannot cummunicate with.

6 months later and various calls to Sprint. All of the non-authorized add-ons are finanlly removed.

I personally believe that Hell is much like this. :D

God help you should you need to make a more complicated change to your account.

16. tcrimsonk

tcrimsonk Member

I probably shouldn't be spreading this around, but maybe THIS will help.

17. joe123

Cool thanks.

Anything beats a Sprint hell call from India. :(

18. tcrimsonk

tcrimsonk Member

Between that and my SERO plan (No longer available) I've gone from hating Sprint to absolutely loving them. Now I'm holding out for the Samsung Moment, and it will be a match made in heaven.