• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get a PS3 or a bluray player

I'm trying to decide between getting a PS3 or a blu-ray player. If I got a bluray player, I want it to be song. I found some sony bluray players for $120 used on ebay and they came equipped with wifi. I found a sony ps3 used for $200
Playstation 3 - eBay (item 250676523675 end time Aug-05-10 10:01:29 PDT)
I probably wouldn't use the ps3 for gaming. What should I get?

PS3. Sometimes I think it's a better blu ray player than a game system. :p
I've had a couple of Sony Blu-ray players and a samsung one, both are much slower in loading movies than the PS3. Not sure which Sony Blu-ray player you're looking at but if it's the N460 or S360 than PS3 is better than those. I think the extra dollars you end up spending for the PS3 is well worth it.

Upvote 0
For the money you can't go wrong with the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, especially the newer slim models. Not only are they more efficient they are MUCH quieter than my 1st gen 60gb. For $300 it kills just about any Blu-ray player on the market under $400-$500.

I have an Oppo BDP-83. While being a better Blu-ray player (it better be for a purpose built Blu-ray player), it's also about $200 more. It doesn't play video games, surf the net, stream music/movies from my PC server, etc. like the PS3. Also, With an upgraded HDD it can become it's own stand alone media server. The PS3 is also software upgradeable, as evidenced with BD-LIVE, codecs to allow playing of DTS-HDMA, DOLBY TRUE HD, and bitstreaming of Lossless Audio, which wasn't available when the PS3 was first launched.

With all that being said, the PS3 is a MUCH better "value" in it's price range.

Upvote 0
there's a good reason to why the ps3 is such good value for money compared to dedicated blu-ray players
dedicated players are meant to turn a profit by themselves, a ps3 isn't
sony has been selling the ps3 at a loss since its release - they just want it in the homes of as many people as possible so they can make money selling games etc. to them
a dedicated bly-ray player can't use that strategy, they have to turn a profit on their own sales

Upvote 0
Only thing I will say is that I never recommend using your gaming console as your main DVD/Blu-Ray player...I just don't see the point of putting the extra wear on the drive. There are plenty of good Blu-Ray players that are comparable and the majority of people aren't going to notice the slight difference in video/audio quality (especially the audio quality).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how well netflix would work on a wifi blu-ray player but if it's something you are looking at, I would pick up a ps3. I have netflix connected to my tv through my laptop, PS3, and Wii and the ps3 is by far the best format for it. Sometime in 2011 they will have the software built in too.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how well netflix would work on a wifi blu-ray player but if it's something you are looking at, I would pick up a ps3. I have netflix connected to my tv through my laptop, PS3, and Wii and the ps3 is by far the best format for it. Sometime in 2011 they will have the software built in too.

Wifi bluray player wouldn't be bad at all if you are running on a 'N' network.

Upvote 0
I got the new slim PS3 120gb (or maybe 160 can't remember) but it's an awesome blue ray player, I also have a cheaper sony bluray player I got for my bedroom and it's much slower, I almost just want to order another ps3 to replace it especially consider the NetFlix streaming is pretty cool and I play games ocassionaly maybe 1hr a month but it's there if I ever really want to get into a game

Upvote 0
I was thinking much the same, I`m after a bluray player and looking at the PS3 you just cant beat the value what with all the other stuff it can do, streaming from your pc etc not to mention games. Thats what I`ll be getting even though I`ll still use my Xbox 360 for games I may try the odd title thats PS3 exclusive

Upvote 0
Some people aren't big gamers, I got it thinking ohh I'll play video games too. Got a couple and borrowed a couple really can't get into it. My PS3 propably gets 98% of it's use with BluRay and Streaming the other 2% gamming
I play tons of sports games.. but at one point I really didn't at all. but it always got used for gaming by either company or family.

In general tho.. not many reasons not to get PS3 over a bluray only player.

Upvote 0

something 360 has had for sometime now :). 360 FTW!

Upvote 0
I play tons of sports games.. but at one point I really didn't at all. but it always got used for gaming by either company or family.

In general tho.. not many reasons not to get PS3 over a bluray only player.

Agreeded

I use to be huge into Madden on ps2 but just didn't like it on ps3 for some reason. I'm going to get the new one when it comes out again (have every madden since 98) hopefully it's better

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones