Should I get Motorola Droid? Please be honest.

Last Updated:

1. murphyy12

murphyy12 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone. So I have a Palm Pixi Plus for Verizon and hate myself for not getting a Droid when I had the chance. With all these new Droid phones coming out and the soaring popularity that Android phones have now, I will almost do anything to get my hands on one.

My plan was to do the following:

1. Trade my Palm into Gazelle.com and get about $100.
    2. Purchase a basically mint condition Motorola Droid from Gazelle.com for around $225-250.
    3. Use the Motorola Droid until November 2011 when I am eligible for an upgrade from Verizon.

My question to all you Android users and gurus is this: am I crazy? I is the Motorola Droid, running 2.2, worth getting now? Will I be upgrading from my current status of using Palm? Will it be worth the time and money to do this? Is there a company better than Gazelle? I have worked dealt with them in the past and am content on using them again.

All these thoughts are flying through my head. I just don't want to go through with this and realize that the Motorola Droid was a bad choice. I am assuming it is obsolete compared to the Droid X and Droid 2, but I just really want an Android phone and the Motorola Droid seems like the best option at the moment, since I can't upgrade.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated. And if anyone knows how to manipulate the Verizon system to get me some kind of upgrade or something, that would be amazing. But I am pretty sure Verizon is bulletproof.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Jcarmicha

Jcarmicha Well-Known Member

I bought my Motorola Droid off Craigslist roughly two months ago for $150 and it has been fantastic.

I had to send it to Motorola for a repair which they did in a 5 day period.. Nice and easy.

Personally I would search on Craigslist first they will likely be a lot cheaper then due to the Droid 2 / X / Incredible.

I absolutely LOVE the phone though. Rooting is an amazing feature and the Droid is quite far along with it. Rather easy to do also.

murphyy12 likes this.
  3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Absolutely get it. It is not obsolete completely. It just got updated to Froyo and it is still better than a lot of other Android phones. I think your plan is great. Get the Droid, learn android, get familiar with the apps and customizing your phone. Find your apps you love and your style. Then in November bet the X or whatever other great phone is out (Droid pro maybe).

**Oh I forgot to mention. I have sold phones on gazelle and I have sold them on eBay. You usually will get quite a bit more money if you do ebay. Take the price gazelle quotes you, add 30-40% and set that as your buy it now price. I have sold 4 on ebay like that, only once did I not sell it at the buy it now price, but I still made more than Gazelle offered me.

murphyy12 likes this.
  4. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

The Moto Droid is still a very desireable Android phone...Primarily because it's one of the very few running Vanilla Android and if root is your cup of tea, then this phone is perfect as it's very customizable!

I think the Droid would be a great phone for you based off of what you've said, and it should suit you without problem until it's time for your upgrade.

murphyy12 likes this.
  5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Droid is awesome, go for it!

6. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

Go for the droid, even having come out in november its better than most android phones verizon offers. still beats the ally,devour,eris hands down. And if hacking/rooting is down your ally way its faster than any phone verizon has to offer(stock of course). I work at a verizon store and still use the original moto droid even though I have a droid 2 and droid X, I just like it that much more.

murphyy12 likes this.
  7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I had my Droid since April this year. I tried the X, it did some things better so I kept the X.

I also kept my Droid too. And I wont be selling it.

Besides the fact that I had Froyo on it for a few months too....

It doesnt just sit away in an underwear drawer like other back up phones I have/had. It actually came in handy recently when we lost power for a day and a half and the Droid had a fresh battery. The flashlight app was a lifesaver. Very bright. And I kept the kids entertained with shadow puppet clips on youtube...

And I will be using it as a stand alone GPS unit. And Wifi still works. All without it being activated anymore. (I did re-activate it when the power went out and the X battery died)

Droid Does....

Did I forget to mention it gets very nice reception, and even better reception with Froyo?

murphyy12 likes this.
  8. murphyy12

murphyy12 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go through with it. My droid should be arriving today!

9. Bnice

Bnice Guest

In my opinion I don't see why just not wait a few months and get the Droid2 , its a overall improvement of the original ..

10. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Awesome I'm sure you'll be very happy. I also have no doubt there will be a few things you miss about WebOS from your Palm. I know I did, but after a bit I got used to everything.