Should I get the Milestone, or what?Support

Last Updated:

1. chris08

chris08 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    Have just registered on this forum.
    I have been thinking about purchasing the Milestone until today when I read different posts and also that their bootloader is locked I became hessetating.
    I want a phone with a physical qwerty keyboard.
    Any tips or is the motorola bootloader unlocked by now?
    Any help would really be apreciated, many thanks!

Advertisement
  2. LifeInAnalog

LifeInAnalog Well-Known Member

...I just got the Milestone last week from Telus, and I must say that I'm really enjoying my first Android phone. Unfortunetly I was under the impression that the Milestone would be getting the 2.2 update, and while that still MIGHT be the case, it does seem less likely than it did a month ago.
    As for rooting...no idea. One site says its possible, the next says nay. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. milestoned

milestoned New Member

I have had the Milestone for a few months and overall I am satisfied with it. However, If I did not already have one I doubt very much I would buy one now with all the different choices you have for android smartphones.

4. Mortus

Mortus Well-Known Member

Even though the bootloader is locked, you can still root the phone, if that is all you were after. Otherwise I am quite enjoying the phone, it works very well, is very sturdy, and generally does what I need it to.

5. Tuy

Tuy Member

I've got a milestone for some time now and I'm very happy with it.

If you like games (I do :)) than you should buy a Milestone. It's on of the few phones that has an accessory called gamegripper. Let's you play games with a 'real' controller. Got mine at: Game-gripper Europe

6. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

It's not even ready yet... When its available you just update it?

chris08

I am fully satisfied with my rooted Telus milestone. I would not buy any other phone now. Yes there is lots of choices but I too wanted the full keyboard as well and its awesome! Once I rooted the phone it runs so fast now! Kinda like formatting a PC... bootloader locked? so? You can get apps and games and everything you need for free... besides its Motorola they invented cell phones! The army use them because they are durable and can take a beating. The outer skin and screen are tough but I still put screen protectors on it and the thing looks brand new... except the edges where i dropped it once on its face and slid across the floor so this is why I'm going to invest in that awesome case the Outerbox. Good luck hope all these people didn't put a sour taste in your mouth for the milestone.

Overall functionality and durability. 9/10
    End user customization 4/10 (Unless rooted :D) 10/10
    Options / Apps / Software 9/10

7. chris08

chris08 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Well, I have anothe question.
    I've read in different posts that people have had problems with the sound on the phone. Have you had any problems with that?
    Like the microphone didn't sound that good.

8. Mortus

Mortus Well-Known Member

I have from from time to time on a rare occasion I find I may cover the noise canceling mic located at the very top back of the phone when I hold the phone improperly. This can make the sound seem muffled to the other caller. My guess is that the phone also adjusts the gain on the main mic based on how much noise the noise canceling mic detects. So in short as long as you do not hook your finger over top of the phone during a call you should be fine.

9. LifeInAnalog

Hey Telus. I've been following you and others on your rooting adventures and I'm very happy to hear that it is possible and stable. I've decided to give it a try, but not until I'm sure that Froyo isn't coming to my phone. The overclocking sounds exciting.

It's great to have forums like this, to help us tech-nervous types get through these processes. (And yes, I understand that even if I do everything correctly, I still run the risk of bricking.)

10. ashketchum

ashketchum Well-Known Member

@LifeInAnalog

There isn't any "risk of bricking" if you do everything correctly. You just flash the vulnerable recovery using RSD Lite, which takes less than 10 seconds, and then you apply the milestone_root.zip (renamed to update.zip) through the recovery. The milestone_root.zip which roots your phone just adds two additional files to it. But they are old versions. You can manually add new versions of the two files ("su" and "Superuser.apk") to your phone using ADBRecovery.

You can also install the new "su" and "Superuser.apk" files after rooting your phone with the milestone_root.zip using the instructions on this post http://androidforums.com/1129098-post4.html . That way you don't have to bother with the Android SDK and ADBRecovery.

If you want more details, lemme know. :)

LifeInAnalog likes this.
  11. Cupillac

Cupillac Member

I have been seriously considering the Telus Milestone, but now I hear the Desire will be released any week now and might be a step up since the Milestone is nearly 6 months old.
    Any thoughts?
    Will there be any downside to the Desire other than not having a physical keyboard?

12. LifeInAnalog

...no risk? I bricked my VCR trying to get rid of that damn flashing clock:p

Seriously though, I appreciate it. I am going to try soon I think. If you don't mind I'll private message you at that time and you can walk me through it...in step-by-step-six-year-old-mentality simplicity.

13. symond

symond Well-Known Member

hey guys help me out too please

i also wanna puches moto phone.. i have two choice becouse my network uses sim card soo which one should i buy .??

motorola backflip or motorola milestone

help me please

14. TwinDragons

TwinDragons Well-Known Member

The Motorola Milestone is a good phone. It has a bigger screen than the Backflip, but it has a smaller keyboard. I don't know much about you...But if you care about speed then the Milestone>Backflip. I say this because the Milestone is on Android 2.1 and has the overclocking ability.

Would I suggest buying a Milestone right now?
    No. I would suggest waiting until Android 2.2 is officially announced.

15. symond

symond Well-Known Member

Hey thanks slot

All I care about is speed and fast becouse I like using 2,3 apps at a time that's all I care
    don't really care about texting n typing like to. Use touch keyboard not out side one

And yeah I should wait maybe untill they confirm or finalize 2.2 that's a good idea

Thanks alot again for helping me

Any more help will be welcome please thanks

16. harunjo

harunjo Active Member

Froyo for Motorola Milestone

17. kalagas

kalagas Member

I advise you not to buy Milestone, cause Motorola advertised it as "flash 10 ready" and now that adobe made the flash 10.1 but it's working only with froyo 2.2, Motorola deleted from specification at it's official web page...
    I buyed it cause when the flash would come out i would have the chance to use it in my Milestone's browser... but now they removed this option, whatever it means...
    That means to me a lot, and if we continue to give them our money they will never stop to treat us that way....

18. LifeInAnalog

...quite frankly I don't see what Motorola did wrong. They only advertised that the hardware was Flash 10 ready...not that you'd be getting it. My bank account is Million Dollar Ready, doesn't mean it's gonna get it.

Ok...not funny...still need my morning coffee.