• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get this thing or what??

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
I realize no one can really answer that question for me, but the question more specifically is..are you happy with the Hero and would you recommend it?

Before it came out it was hailed as the greatest android phone ever, although there's not much competition, but it seems like all I've heard about it is complaints. From what I've been hearing the sluggishness problems will be history by the time it's released in the US, so I'm not really worried about that.

One of my biggest concerns is the screen size. I've been trying to avoid buying an iphone, but I've gotta say I love the screen size, and most of the other phones just don't measure up. The Pre, the Mytouch and a host of other lesser known phones just don't have a big enough screen. I've played some games on the iphone and I don't see how you could play those games on a screen the size of a Pre. I'm not sure the exact difference between the Pre and Hero, but I do know the Hero is smaller than the iphone screen.

One phone that I've really got my eye is the Omnia II. That thing looks sweeeet. I'm not buying in to the whole Windows Mobile is the crappiest thing to ever exist whining I've been hearing about all over. I would buy the phone if I liked everything else about it. I have faith that since it pretty much HAS to be improved to stay in the game that it will be. I kinda like the idea of Android, though, so THAT would factor it, but not because WinMo sucks, just because Android seems pretty cool and is continuouly growing. But other than the WinMo vs. Android comparison, the Omia II looks like it leaves the hero in the dust, especially with the screen size.

I would really like for this phone to work for me because i'm already on sprint and could probably get anywhere from a 75-150 credit for re-upping my contract. I just want to do all my research to try and make sure I would be happy with that decision.

So, apart from the sluggishness are there any other major complaints about the phone? And what's your overall satisfaction with it, ignoring the sluggishness?

Thanx

Hi there,

I have jumped the Apple ship from the iPhone to the Hero, and I have no regrets (and I'm quite a fan of the boys in Cupertino). I haven't noticed any difference in screen size, or rather I don't feel like I've traded down in that respect. Other things I like on the Hero include the gorgeous widgets, seven pages of stuff, with different collections to choose from, and the pulsating trackball when there are new notifications.

If the phone get sluggish, I just open taskiller, and kill off all the open programs and bingo; everything is zippy again.

Upvote 0
The HTC Hero's screen (3.2") is an inch bigger than the Palm Pre's (3.1"). I understand the iPhone 3GS screen is 3.5"? I can't remember.

The iPhone has never been an option for me due to lack of multi-tasking. The only reason you're hearing about lag on the HTC Hero is because, unlike the iPhone, it can multi-task. But according to sneak previews of the next Hero firmware at Phandroid, that lag is about to become a thing of the past. Not that it's a big deal anyway TBH. You certainly don't notice it until you've started setting up widgets, and downloading apps, and even then it consists of split-second stutters that can be eliminated by shutting down background apps using TasKill.

Upvote 0
I absolutely recommend the Hero. Yes you will hear about lag, but as people on this thread have already said, it is because Android phones multitask. You will find that any lag you experience is completely manageable, and in truth, hardly a big deal.

If you are a bit of a tech nerd you will grow to love the open flavour of Android, but this of course is more than Android, it is Sense, and it is beautiful.

Also, I find the form factor just right. Over the years many smartphones have been too big and put me off. This thing fits unnoticably into your pocket, and when you pull it out looks good.

Hands down the best phone I have ever had, my first Android phone, and I have seen the light.

It does everything I want of it, and it does it in style.

Upvote 0
Thanx for the input. I've been waiting to get a new phone since almost the beginning of the year, but have yet to find one that I think I would be completely happy with. It was gonna be the Pre, but just not that impressed with it. Mainly the screen size and the keyboard. I'm TEMPTED to pre order the Hero since they're supposedly going to be doing that, but I never buy something sight unseen. As long as I was able to get a refund, I figure why not. Only way I would take it back is if somehow I didn't like the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones