Should I go back to official software when 2.1 comes out soon?

Last Updated:

1. everfine

everfine Member This Topic's Starter

I am running UltimateDroid 7.8 and everything seems to be running well. I have a few root-only programs but I'm not sure if I use them that much. What are the advantages/disadvantages of unrooting and going back to the OTA update for Android 2.1? Is there anything different between these two?

Advertisement
    hexon likes this.
  2. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

yes

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

There are absolutely no advantage of the OTA 2.1 compared to ROMs. Every ROM besides CyanogenMod is based off of ESE53, which is what is being released as the OTA. If you have root and a custom ROM, don't even bother with the OTA.

everfine likes this.
  4. everfine

Yes to which part? I have only had my Droid for 3 weeks and it's been rooted since the first day so I don't know much about the pros and cons. And hey, I'm in Knoxville as well.

5. everfine

Thank you. I guess I will stick with UltimateDroid 7.8. Unless this cyanogenmod is better?

6. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're never really gonna be happy with what you have anyway.

7. Bkfraiders7

Bkfraiders7 Well-Known Member

DroidMod isnt (yet) and Im positive there are others as well.

The rest of your statement I agree with though.

8. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

Actually sounds like he just wants to have the latest and greatest. Same as a lot of us on here. That's why ROMs get updated so often. Something new pops up and devs pop it into their ROMs.

Also, whenever the update finally arrives there WILL be some difference with all the ese53 roms. Most likely it will be minor and unnoticeable, but no one will know for sure until we see it. But if it were going to be EXACTLY the same (paraphrasing from earlier post), we would most likely already have it.

However, unless they have decided to make a major change that is not listed in their press release most custom roms will already be better; i.e. rooted, overclock-able, themed, or whatever else the rom dev has packed in for us. Of course, the devs should be able to build in any changes from the update within a week or two, maybe even just a couple of days.

So my advice is to stay rooted, stick with your custom rom and don't sweat this update.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

If for no other reason, I'll stick with 5 home screens instead of the stock 3. That ALONE is reason enough to stay rooted and ROMmed. Plenty of other reasons, though