• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should i go with the 200MB DataPro or 2GB DataPlus plan?

When I had my iPhone(s), I always hovered right around the 2GB mark every month.
I know a few people who use their iPhone for tethering and go well over 20-30GB per month.

Wow, I do hope they pay for it. I'm rarely on atts side about anything but those people really are slowing things down for the rest of us! 5 gbs I could maybe understand, but 30!

Upvote 0
I'll see if i can convince my parents into letting me get the 2GB plan. I really want this phone.

FYI, if you go over 200MB, they charge you for ANOTHER 200MB, therefore your better off going with the 2GB, just something to mention.

So if you log in to Wi-Fi your phone will stop using the data plan until you lose wi-fi automatically?

Correct, it will use Wi-Fi as long as it gets a good signal, after your out of range, Wi-Fi will stay on (draining your battery) and 3G will be restored until you manual log onto another wireless network.

Upvote 0
I was wanting to upgrade to Captivate from Razr V29x and had unlimited data, but discovered that it's not the same data plan. I never knew you could get an unlimited smart phone data plan or I'd have done it long ago. Can't wait to tell AT&T thanks for letting me know!

Why would AT&T offer you a plan that wasn't compatible with your phone? The Razr is a feature phone, not a smartphone. If you had been paying $30/month for a smartphone unlimited data plan, you probably would have freaked.

Upvote 0
Title says it. I want to get the 200mb plan but fear going over the limit. I will only browse a few site like sportscenter. Wont be updating status' cause i dont have a facebook. Was wondering if i just do everything that consumes major data at home, which has wifi i should be good right?

On a second note how much data does using GPS every once in awhile?

Thanks for the help. I am going to hopefully get this phone on August 22.

2GB....trust me...

Upvote 0
It really depends on how much you use it and if Wifi is available around where your going to be on a daily basis. I started with the 200mb and was using it alot the first couple weeks and went over pretty fast. I'm a pretty heave user but just browsing the web and using a few apps really. Most aren't even that data intensive. If you don't have WiFi available id say go with the 2gb plan because your just taking a gamble there since your phone will always be on 3G using data.

Upvote 0
I would suggest you sign up for the 2GB plan. (Overage is $10 for another 1GB, if necessary.) Monitor your data usage for a few months, and if you really don't think you'll go over, switch to the 200MB plan (they'll allow the switch, overage is $15 for another 100MB). I think given the overage charges it is a good idea to have a little too much at first if anything. Besides, I think my heaviest usage time is likely to be the first month or two, trying lots of apps and just playing with the features to get to know the phone.

Upvote 0
Get the 2GB plan, definitely. AT&T purposely has a bunch of useless junk running constantly in the background sucking down data for the sole purpose of running up your monthly bill. Even with no widgets on or anything like that, the AT&T crapware could suck down 2-5MB per day just doing nothing. And of course unless you root the phone (which I haven't done) you can't disable their devious money making scheme.

Untrue. I'm stock, unrooted.

I use UltimateJuice (pd version of JuiceDefender) to disable all the AT&T bloatware (and all other software that I think shouldn't connect to the internet) from EVER connecting to the internet. UJ can let you do that.

Upvote 0
My gf and I use between 25 and 40gb per month. I am glad I am on an unlimited plan.

that's G, not M bytes? :eek: Good grief what are you running to use that volume of data, netflix or other streaming video on a daily basis ?

I'm approaching the end of my first month with this being my first smartphone and admittedly I've been as lean with 3G data usage as I could be until I figured out what I and the device would consume. I'm at a tad over 60 Mb so far. I was initially concerned about ATT not having an unlimited data plan, but now I feel that 2 Gb will be plenty for me even after I'm ramping up my use. I could probably get by with the 200Mb plan, but for only $10 more per month I know my usage will increase when I resume traveling more after the holidays. Besides, my employer pays my bill. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm on the 200mb plan and never have trouble. in fact in the last week of the month I tend to stream a bunch just to get it closer to 200mb so I get what I paid for! I am almost always on wifi which is free and usually much faster anyway. GPS doesn't use much either. I used it on a 2 hour car ride and only used about 3mb total. I do use 3G Watchdog just to make sure too.

Upvote 0
You all have got me worried. I upgraded to the Captivate today, and went with the smaller data plan thinking that wouldn't be any problem. I'm a cheapskate and wouldn't have upgraded if I had to pay another $10 per mo. Now I'm wondering if I'll be stuck having to go with it.

I have wi-fi and home, and would probably be using 3G just to web browse, e-mail and the occasional Facebook at work. They told me with my old non-smart phone, I was only using 7MB a month, so I figured I'd be fine. I'm I likely to go over? What's the best way to monitor how much data you're using?

Upvote 0
that's G, not M bytes? :eek: Good grief what are you running to use that volume of data, netflix or other streaming video on a daily basis ?

I'm approaching the end of my first month with this being my first smartphone and admittedly I've been as lean with 3G data usage as I could be until I figured out what I and the device would consume. I'm at a tad over 60 Mb so far. I was initially concerned about ATT not having an unlimited data plan, but now I feel that 2 Gb will be plenty for me even after I'm ramping up my use. I could probably get by with the 200Mb plan, but for only $10 more per month I know my usage will increase when I resume traveling more after the holidays. Besides, my employer pays my bill. ;)
Yes we stream everything. Dont have internet or cable so we stream music, tv, internet teathering. We do just aobut everything with our phones.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if anyone in this thread has actually gone into their AT&T account and looked closely at their data use. I know you can do it with a built-in contact widget (you call for "data use" and get a notification), but that's pretty generic, just gives you a total up to that point in your billing cycle.

To really get a handle on data use, check out your AT&T account online (Web - if you haven't established an AT&T Web account, by all means do it!!!!). It's actually got a lot of telling info on it (even for the controlling hordes at AT%T!). Looking at your "data useage" link in "My Account" on their site will actually give you a time and particular data load. I found in looking at that stuff that every 15 mins. I'd get 3KB worth of syncing of God Knows What. Now 3KB isn't a whole lot, but figure every 15 mins. makes 12 KB/hr., or (multiplying), roughly 288KB per day, or 8.5MB a month just for being on. Not a huge portion of the allotted lesser plan (200MB), but it adds up.

My data hogging is mostly for Web surfing, in concentrated sessions, i.e. once a day for at a specifc hour, etc. In those sessons I've managed to burn up about 30MB in a week or so. So I'm right on the cusp of staying on the cheaper plan. I think of it as disciplining myself to surf without wasting time and effort. As it stands, I make it "under" the maximum by 2-3 MB per month.

Anyway the point here to REALLY find out, because you're not going to just from others, who use it in a variety of ways:

1) Establish an ONLINE (Web) AT&T account if you haven't already
2) Log into your account and click "Usage and Recent Activity"
3) There should be a list of all phones (if > 1 in your plan). Scroll to "Data Usage" (or similar) section.
4) Under the proper phone (again if > 1), click "View Details".
5) You'll get a page with a bunch of different info, including EACH data use instance (much like a phone bill list of calls).
6) Note the dates, times, and amount of data. You can track when you glutted out vs. other "automatic" uses.

It might be a good idea for one sitting to just do a few brief tasks, like surf through few pages, maybe look at web e-mail (if you have it), etc. and NOTE IT in writing, the time, page pulled, etc. (your computer probably has a task logger but that's getting kind of fancy, but if you know how to use it...). Anyway just do a few maybe 2-3 minute things, maybe 4-5, then note the amount of data pulled when it shows up on the AT&T usage page 1-2 days later.

It's not really tedious if you just do it in 1-2 short, easily identifable "Web" sessions. Then you can see if you're worred about keeping usage trim where you gorged too much. And the AT&T page shows other data usage (Texts, Mobile share, video share, etc.) so you can look at those and try similar "experiments" to track your data as well.

Note that there is a "Data Usage Calculator" AT&T provides on the site but I find it kind of generic and not really too accurate (it's based upon how you answer questions which can vary broadly). I tried it and found I'd like to use data like I answered but I actually use data differently than I answered, which I only found by doing the "data trace" I mentioned above here.

Just take a few minutes and try jotting down a few uses then checking in your online account page(s)... it's well, well worth the $$$ to give it a dry run. Of course if you don't want to mind your P's and Q's (literally!) then get the bigger plan. I want value so I'm trying to adjust my phone data habits to be a little more efficient. So far so good.

Oh since I also discovered that my phone would still chirp out little 3KB data blurbs every 15 mins. even if Syncing is "OFF", I found a way (also mentioned in this forum) to juse JuiceDefender (even the free one) to FORCE my phone to NOT send or receive any data (not including text and voice phone) AT ALL until I tell it to. And apparently this little tip has worked great! I looked at my online log since instituting this fix and there's no data at all recorded as being sent(!!!!). So now I don't have to turn off the phone to have it stop leaking, and avoid irritating restarts (reboots).

I can provide a link to how this is done (again it's in this site) if interested.

Looking at my online individual data use instances has REALLY helped me understand how I use it, and what uses a lot of it. Again, don't download ANYTHING on 3G, use USB or WiFi if you are able. Most Web surfing for about an hour will burn several MB's, so just be aware of that. I'm trying to give the 200MB limit a go, and so far I can. The $10 per month difference isn't a whole lot but it can add up. I mostly don't want to pay for what I don't use. If I start feeling like I'm crimping too much, then I'll go to the larger plan. So far it's not necessary.

Upvote 0
GPS doesn't use much either.

GPS doesn't use any data. Apps that make use of GPS may or may not use data, and some more than others. An app like GPS Status or GPS Test doesn't use any data as it just shows you the GPS position data (long/lat). Apps that then take that positioning data and map it may have to download maps, and some might be more-efficient than others (the latest Google Maps update radically decreased the amount of data transfer necessary for maps). And some mapping apps have offline maps, so they don't need live data either.

It's important to understand this and be clear, as many people are confused about how GPS actually works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones