Should I go with the G1?General

Last Updated:

1. livejamie

livejamie New Member This Topic's Starter

I have an HTC Tytn (Cingular 8525) now, and I'm relatively happy with it.

I was looking into the Touch, the iPhone, and the Android and the Android kinda peaks my interest the most, as it's an open platform and I assume that it will eventually catch up to the iPhone's application base, and will have stuff that the iPhone won't, like flash, etc.

I'm also very heavily dependent on Google, I use their calander, mail, notebook, etc.

The quesiton I have now - should I go for the G1? Or should I wait for a next generation Android device.

Is there another one on the horizon?

I've heard that AT&T isn't interested, plus I've heard that people are annoyed by T-Mobile's 1GB cap on data usage.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums :)

It's ultimately your decision (obviously;)) but check out the Pros/Cons thread for the G1. That will give you some insight, and if you haven't already, check out some of the more established gadget/phone review sites for their G1 reviews.

3. STORM3333

STORM3333 Well-Known Member

Get the g1, and enjoy a new world a new way! Google and t-mobile need to hire my behind..........lol but seriously i love my android so much! I don't doubt you will as well!

4. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

Storm, is that u in the av? :rolleyes:

5. STORM3333

i sure hope so although the older i get the more i see my mother rather than myself! I swear it freaks me out punkin! :d

6. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

haha that's funny :D

7. STORM3333

;) oh and sorry for hijacking this thread!

8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

The 1GB cap is gone. It's more like 10GB, more than enough if you're not tethering. What do you expect out of the phone? What do you like the most and would miss about your current phone? What's your current phone missing that the G1 has?

Answer those questions, and read some reviews, and you'll be able to make an educated decision.

9. STORM3333

that's an excellent answer

10. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Thanks, Storm, everyone is different and has different needs. I'll probably never want or need to tether the G1, so it doesn't bother me that it can't do that. Same for exchange support --- but to some people, those are vital apps that can make or break their job -- so definitely it pays off to spend some time reading about the things you're interested in buying.

Whenever I want to buy something that's expensive or unknown I always read reviews, I go to Amazon, C|net and read mostly the negative reviews, just because you learn a lot more by people complaining than you do by people praising. Good to read some of those positive reviews, just to see, but the bad reviews are usually more revealing. Sometimes you find out that the device might have this or that issue, and sometimes you find out that people bought it for all the wrong reasons, or didn't know what they were buying in the first place:p.

People that know I have a G1 have asked me, "Should I get the G1?" and I say "well what do you want it to do?" Because that's what it comes down to. Phones have so many features and options, even basic things are different on different phones. Something simple, like the placement of the call and end buttons, isn't universal, so there's a lot to take into account. A feature I never cared about might be a dealbreaker for someone else.