• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should i install a custom ROM

kind of hard to say, what with the wealth of info you've provided about your device and version of android.:)

all that can be said for sure is that your operating version will change, for better or for worse. i've ALWAYS run into some bug on a custom rom that "bugs" the %^&% out of me, even if it is a feature that i never use. just that the bug is there, and i know it is there, bothers me.

that said, i'm bored today and am gonna try flashing omni rom on my n7.

beware, i have 2 devices that i've bricked by playing around with stuff that i didn't understand. if your temperament is such that you can handle the anguish that goes with this, have at it!

Upvote 0
It all depends on how comfortable you are with tinkering. The most important thing you can get at this stage is more information. Read the directions for your device multiple times before attempting them, and ask any questions you have. Were here to help :)

I rooted my first android device within about a month of receiving it. Not because I felt like I was missing features but just to see what the possibilities were. Root isn't for everyone, but all my devices have been rooted since.

Upvote 0
My first task when I get a new phone: Google "MANUFACTURER MODEL root" :p Then "MANUFACTURER MODEL ROMs" (i.e. Samsung Galaxy Victory root, then Samsung Galaxy Victory ROMs).

But that's me. Only bother with custom ROMs, as stated, if you don't like your phoen's default features and appearance, really. Rooting should only be done as-needed. I utilize many root-access apps, so not having it is out of the question for me.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
If you really want to play, might I suggest you pick up an older working Android phone cheap from eBay or Craigslist? I'd recommend you look for a model by the same manufacturer as your current phone because even though the specifics will be different, the process will be similar enough to let you know if you want to do it. For example, Samsung's flagship, the S4 is around $520.00 on Amazon while you can pick up an old working Galaxy S for between $50 and $75 depending on the condition. Then you can root and flash and modify without worrying about messing up your current phone.

Once you get a feel for it and are comfortable with the steps and procedures, then you can make an informed decision to root and flash your daily driver.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones