Should I install the new update? (9/26/10)

Last Updated:

1. kylemac17

kylemac17 Member This Topic's Starter

I recently rooted my phone. That went fine, I got the fancy # prompt without too much trouble. So I installed ROM Manager and got the ClockworkMod Recovery img. When I hit reboot into recovery from ROM Manager it booted to the LG boot screen and wouldn't go anywhere past that. I freaked thinking I was bricked. I left my phone alone for like 4 or so hours and it was fine thankfully. So I pretty much stayed away from fancy stuff like that for the past week.

Then this new firmware update comes out.

My question is... If i install the new OTA update will I lose my root access? I've read about situations where people lose their root then gain it back, I'm just curious if this is the path I will have to follow.

I have a backup of my stock ROM with root access and I'm not running any custom ROMs.

Thanks for checking out this thread.

Advertisement
  2. dots

dots Well-Known Member

3. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

The clockworkmod recovery wont let it install. it will block it. but it will stop notifications of the new update, that nag screen you will recieve every 30min

4. kylemac17

So when I hit the install button it will reboot and try to install but clockworkmod will make it so it won't work? And after it doesn't work I will still have root?

And is there anything I'm missing out on for not updating?

Thanks for all the help :D

5. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

Not really. The update just adds a couple apps that you cant remove and a new radio and battery life improvements,etc. nothing major and yes you will still have root

6. myfishbear

myfishbear Well-Known Member

actually that radio update helped me out a bunch... i had such bad reception that my 1/8 my calls went to voicemail or were dropped before the radio update in vzb. by the way you can remove those apps with a rom or with TI backup.

7. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

I thought i heard someone say that when froyo comes to the ally, we can get the updates included into rom updates, and won't have to do this flashing back and forth to stock to get updates. If this is true, then why can't we do it now?

8. kylemac17

Update went fine, except it went through :( no more root, and it added MORE JANK APPS!! God I hate verizon. What do?

9. dots

dots Well-Known Member

10. kylemac17

Can anyone confirm this, it's not that I don't trust you I just wanna be real careful cause parents would kill me if I bricked it, and I have no money for a new one.

11. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Yes. Do a search, androot is referenced by like 30 different people.

EDIT: Sorry, this one sounds mean too. I must be in a bad mood tonight. Just trust me when I say I'm not trying to be a jerk.