• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

should i just get the iphone 5 and return my galaxy s 3

tj3590

Oct 13, 2012
I have looked and tried all the androids from tmobile and im disappointed. First, all the new androids have the back button, home button, and search button built into the phone which makes it very easy to brush up againgst the keys during apps. Second, the only phone thats decent at tmobile is the galaxy s 3 which i just purchased (they dont have iphone). I thought i would like the galaxy s 3, but its really diffcult to use with one hand (especially when i try to place a call while driving).

I paid 330 for the galaxy s3 minus the 50 dollar rebate. I was thinking about sending the phone back to tmobile and using the money to break my contract and go to verizon because im not all that happy with any of the new android phones. All i want is a phone that i feel comfortable with and android just isn't doing it for me right now. With tmobile, i have unlimted data, talk, and text for 88 dollars a month right now. At&t wants 100 plus dollars for one gb of data for there iphone and sprint doesnt even have 4g towers right now. I dont know what to do???????

Got to verizon store and check Galaxy Nexus by Google. See it and play with it.. If you like it buy GSM model from google store. Order prepaid sim card from t-mobile website and get one of these plans
Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

$70 plan is probably what you need.

No contract, unlimited everything for $70, $350 4g unlocked android phone(with latest operating system) for more info about this phone check here.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa
For support and questions here.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums

Thats my advice. If you don't like it go ahead with 2 year att contract, mapless iphone,
And $100+ limited data.

Upvote 0
I have looked and tried all the androids from tmobile and im disappointed. First, all the new androids have the back button, home button, and search button built into the phone which makes it very easy to brush up againgst the keys during apps. Second, the only phone thats decent at tmobile is the galaxy s 3 which i just purchased (they dont have iphone). I thought i would like the galaxy s 3, but its really diffcult to use with one hand (especially when i try to place a call while driving).

I paid 330 for the galaxy s3 minus the 50 dollar rebate. I was thinking about sending the phone back to tmobile and using the money to break my contract and go to verizon because im not all that happy with any of the new android phones. All i want is a phone that i feel comfortable with and android just isn't doing it for me right now. With tmobile, i have unlimted data, talk, and text for 88 dollars a month right now. At&t wants 100 plus dollars for one gb of data for there iphone and sprint doesnt even have 4g towers right now. I dont know what to do???????

I say absolutely go to what ever makes you happy. :) Before you leave T-Mobile, I advise you to check out the costs of data, it isn't cheap. I believe with Verizon, it's around 90 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text and you only get one gig of data. If you're not a heavy data user and are around wifi most of the time, I say go for it!

I won't advocate any brand or phone to someone whom asks. If an iPhone suits you. I think that's what you should get. :)

The phone has to suit the end user regardless if it's an android, iPhone, black berry, windows os etc. :)

Upvote 0
sounds like you're using either ICS and/or JB (Android 4.x). i hated the virtual buttons too, had an install of it on a tablet (those virtual buttons, especially 'home' is where i normally find my launcher, so i kept backing out of apps inadvertently. in addition, those virtual buttons take up needless screen real-estate. it was enough to downgrade to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) and while not as smooth as iOS 6, i still have every bit as much customization. i'm a Gingerbread lover!

i'd try experimenting with rooting and flashing a custom ROM (you may get it to do far more) once you go root you won't go back (too Apple). my personal favorite and usually de-facto ROM is called CyanogenMod. i think either CyanogenMod 9 or 10 run on ICS/JB devices, and you can either disable that bar of virtual keys, move them to the top, either side or change their size.

Upvote 0
sounds like you're using either ICS and/or JB (Android 4.x). i hated the virtual buttons too, had an install of it on a tablet (those virtual buttons, especially 'home' is where i normally find my launcher, so i kept backing out of apps inadvertently. in addition, those virtual buttons take up needless screen real-estate. it was enough to downgrade to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) and while not as smooth as iOS 6, i still have every bit as much customization. i'm a Gingerbread lover!

i'd try experimenting with rooting and flashing a custom ROM (you may get it to do far more) once you go root you won't go back (too Apple). my personal favorite and usually de-facto ROM is called CyanogenMod. i think either CyanogenMod 9 or 10 run on ICS/JB devices, and you can either disable that bar of virtual keys, move them to the top, either side or change their size.

What about using a different launcher? I'm not quite sure how a galaxy s does things.

Upvote 0
Not sure if that plan is financially fit, IMO. I don't know how much your ETF fee is with t-mobile but that cost will be tacked on the price of the iPhone plus you will pay more in monthly cell bills. If you are not happy with your phone, by all means return it but consider the entire cost before making a decision like that. In the end it might not be worth it.

If your heart is set on leaving t-mobile, I would try the razr m from Verizon. Its a nice phone and it's great for one handed use. Also, the razr m doesn't have capacitive or physical buttons on the front of the phone like the Galaxy s3.

If you are set on getting the iPhone, then I would suggest the AT&T version since their plan prices are comparable to Verizon but their iPhone's are capable of voice and data use simultaneously. At least that's my understanding.

Upvote 0
Sorry getting on my soap box here but there is no way you should be using your hands to place a call whilst driving. Here in the UK and most European countries its illegal. I am a nurse and a biker so not only have I seen the results of idiots using phones whilst they are driving but when on my bike hardly a week goes past when I don't have to taking avoiding action because of a phone using driver. S voice on the G3 is great for making hands free calls and even sending texts for that matter. Driving a car requires 100% concentration. Rant over

Reactions: xmr405o and mikedt
Upvote 0

I don't know where you are, but you'll probably find that's completely illegal. Even in China where I am. You get caught holding a phone while driving, could get you a very stiff fine, license endorsed and maybe even jail.

cellphonedriving_poster.png

By the way a few years ago, I had a 70MPH front tyre blow-out, fortunately I had both hands firmly on the wheel and was able to keep control. Now if I was holding a phone, with only one hand on the wheel and this happened. Well I probably wouldn't be here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones