Should I let Sprint flash my Hero to 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. TravelDave

TravelDave Active Member This Topic's Starter

I went in to the Sprint store because my headphone jack stopped working. Their first potential solution was to upgrade me to 2.1 (thinking it's a software problem not a hardware problem). I'm not sure that I believe them, but that's neither here nor there.

I have been planning on rooting my phone and I have heard that once Sprint flashes the phone up to 2.1 that my options are much more limited (and that their upgrade is irreversible). Is that true? Should I let them upgrade my phone?

Dave

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Going up to 2.1 is irreversible, if you plan on rooting then don't worry about going to 2.1. Once you are rooted you can flash whatever 2.1 or 1.5 based custom rom you like so no need to limit yourself.

3. TravelDave

TravelDave Active Member This Topic's Starter

If the Sprint store does move it to 2.1 (as part of trying to fix my headphone jack) can I still root it after they do the upgrade and switch to a different ROM?

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Yes.

5. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

You will have to Ruu to the .5 version of 2.1 that was before the software update first. This is a small extra step but yes. I'd let Sprint do it if they keep hassling you and insisting that is the problem.