• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I return my Droid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVP

Dec 18, 2009
PA
I like my DROID. Let me say that first off before anyone starts to get defensive. My previous phone was a used Blackberry 8700g off ebay that didn't even have a data plan. I've was reading about phones avidly the past few months just waiting for Nov 30 to arrive when my plan was up with Tmo. I had decided to get the BB Storm2 but then, the Moto Droid came out of no where and it had a lot of customization options, the reviews were good, and all the Verizon reps really loved the phone. I just decided to get thinking I would regret later if I didn't. After 2 weeks with the Droid it has a few shortfalls that have me concerned.

The application memory:(currently I have 189mb).This is ridiculously
low.
-The Storm2 even has 2gb and lets not get started with what the
iPhone has.
The alarm clock: My phone has to be on all night for the alarm clock to
go off????!!
- Are you kidding me?? Even my old plastic 8700 didn't have to be
on for the alarm clock to be initiated.
The frequent application errors: "Force close."
- I think we have all seen this many a times. It's starting to act like
Windows.

If I'm having these concerns 2 weeks into my new Droid purchase, I'm worried about what could happen in the next 2 years! What do you all think?

AVP

Memory: as far as I know, even though the application memory is low, most apps only store launching processes in the application memory. The rest of the app is stored on your external micro sd. (not certain, but thats what I have read)

Alarm clock: of course you phone has to be on. If it was off, there would be no power which means no alarm. Same with any other phone.

Any force close error you get is from a specific app, any core functionality force closes may also be from 3rd party apps. (a lot of widgets will run into this issue, so try to isolate what widget it is, it will tell you what process it is coming from i.e. com.google.messaging)

Upvote 0
The application memory:(currently I have 189mb).This is ridiculously
low.
-The Storm2 even has 2gb and lets not get started with what the
iPhone has.
The alarm clock: My phone has to be on all night for the alarm clock to
go off????!!
- Are you kidding me?? Even my old plastic 8700 didn't have to be
on for the alarm clock to be initiated.
The frequent application errors: "Force close."
- I think we have all seen this many a times. It's starting to act like
Windows.

The way I understand the application memory is that the executable for the program is stored on the phone and most other stuff is put on the SD card and pulled form there.

I don't think you can turn off your BB and the alarm will come on. I had a BB for awhile. I know the phone goes into a suspend mode when you have an alarm set.

Upvote 0
...Any force close error you get is from a specific app, any core functionality force closes may also be from 3rd party apps. (a lot of widgets will run into this issue, so try to isolate what widget it is, it will tell you what process it is coming from i.e. com.google.messaging)

^^^This, plus the fact that the vast majority of the apps in the Market are coming "from some guy's basement" (i.e. not coming from established companies), and may not even be Android 2.0 compliant. One would be hard pressed to say that "most" apps would be "issue free".

Upvote 0
Well the part about "the phone has to be on for the alarm to work" almost smells like spam!LOL.

Plenty of phones have the option to set an alarm that will work even when the phone is off. Basically, there is an internal clock that continues to work when the power is off. When the time comes for your alarm, the phone is started and the alarm sounds as normal. It's a great power saver and avoids you getting woken up calls, texts, etc when you are sleeping.

Just about every Nokia ever made has this, and most Blackberries do as well.

Upvote 0
Plenty of phones have the option to set an alarm that will work even when the phone is off. ...Just about every Nokia ever made has this, and most Blackberries do as well.

My Treo had that feature. The PHONE function itself could be turned off (meaning: I get no incoming phone calls) but the device was always on, so that when the time came, the alarm would ring, regardless of whether the phone was off or on.

Upvote 0
No one cares about your complaints.

[Edit: Please do not give people a hard time for using the forum as it is intended. -Phases]
Be nice! we do care, after all he (if) did owned a Droid for 2 weeks. Just that the Droid is definitely way way to high tech for him and he is not ready for the Droid yet, maybe 3 more years. He is looking for an alarm clock phone.
I recommend the iphone for him and if he wants to complain.He'll see the shortcoming of the iphone and in the same token it might suit him with an on and off application. (the iphone is 3 years old and nothing has changed much) That will be a good start for a beginner.No insults intended! :thinking:

Upvote 0
LOL! Hahaha! It's funny seeing people get all defensive when I mention some things that I don't like about a phone. (Imagine if somebody insulted them directly.) Frankly, I’m surprised how many neutral/objective posts I received. You have to admit I called it though from my original post. It’s impossible, especially nowadays, with our educational system going down the tubes, to have knowledgeable, objective responses even when you may not agree with the person’s opinion.

On a side note: I am not sure what constitutes a “troll post.” Maybe my dad has some troll in his DNA and I could in fact be partially a troll and not have known it and then made a post on this very forum, in fact...making it a “troll post” and me a “troll stomper” if you will.

I digress, I hate iPhones, but they do have the best touch sensitive screens, and the most internal memory or as one poster called it, RAM. Regardless, it’s huge. (That’s what she said) I posted because most of you probably have had your Droids longer than I have had mine and wanted to see if you could add anything more to what I've already found. Oh and not to mention the alarm clock again I know how sensitive this subject can be for many of you. I won’t mention it again after this I promise but as many posters on here mentioned, there are in fact phones that turn off and still have functional alarm clocks, and if the Droid is so high tech it would be able to do this too while it was off. To say that the Droid is so high tech that it has to be on the whole night for the alarm to work is just stupid, come on. I like the phone (it’s sad I have to say this again so nobodies egos are shattered) I just know it is not perfect as many of you have yet to realize. You’ll realize this to once you get your info from doing some research instead of Droid commercials during prime time television. All your responses good or bad have helped me come to a decision. I’m going to do some research and see what’s up with these new android phones coming out and when they might be released. If it’s promising, I’m returning this phone quicker than you can say “troll stomp” or “alarm clock” whichever aggravates you more. I'm out son!

Upvote 0
I digress, I hate iPhones, but they do have the best touch sensitive screens, and the most internal memory or as one poster called it, RAM. Regardless, it’s huge.

You just contradicted yourself, after you said you hate iphones you basically said it was the best phone. Also the RAM on the iphone isn't that much (not gonna bother to check) and it doesn't need it because it only opens one app at a time (iCant commertial ftw)

Oh and not to mention the alarm clock again I know how sensitive this subject can be for many of you. I won’t mention it again after this I promise but as many posters on here mentioned, there are in fact phones that turn off and still have functional alarm clocks, and if the Droid is so high tech it would be able to do this too while it was off. To say that the Droid is so high tech that it has to be on the whole night for the alarm to work is just stupid, come on. I like the phone (it’s sad I have to say this again so nobodies egos are shattered) I just know it is not perfect as many of you have yet to realize.

For you to come on to this forum and say that one of three things you don't like about Android is it's alarm clock makes you not only stupid but shallow. Why even comment on the alarm? Did you think the android community would respond understandably to something so ridiculous.Better yet why didn't you just ask for some solutions to you problems or looking at the app marker with over 10,000 apps instead of returning.

You’ll realize this to once you get your info from doing some research instead of Droid commercials during prime time television.

This is exactly what separates the android community and consumer's from others *cough*apple*cough* we don't fall for all the glamour and glossiness.

All your responses good or bad have helped me come to a decision. I’m going to do some research and see what’s up with these new android phones coming out and when they might be released. If it’s promising, I’m returning this phone quicker than you can say “troll stomp” or “alarm clock” whichever aggravates you more. I'm out son!

Im not gonna sit here and tell you not to look up more info cause thats a good thing but i really want you to look back at your post and think if an alarm clock is really a credible reason (if a reason at all) to return one of the fastest and largest screen phones on the market.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones