• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I return the Inc for a Droid?

rsmccull

Lurker
Apr 26, 2010
I've had my Incredible for almost 30 days now, and mostly I love it. This is my first android phone, and its awesome, the Inc is amazingly fast and the camera is fantastic. I get great reception when I'm at home or out and about, however, I work in a lab that's in a basement, and I get terrible reception there. I've tried all of the *228 and such, but to no avail. I can only occasionally get 3G at work. My old phone, a Samsung I760 got amazing reception here - I guess I got spoiled.

I love the phone otherwise, but if I can't use it for 8-10 hours of everyday, its not really worth it. My question is, I want to stay with a android, so should I get a Moto Droid? Does it have better reception than the Inc?

Thanks for the help since I've gotta make a decision in the next day or two.

I've had my Incredible for almost 30 days now, and mostly I love it. This is my first android phone, and its awesome, the Inc is amazingly fast and the camera is fantastic. I get great reception when I'm at home or out and about, however, I work in a lab that's in a basement, and I get terrible reception there. I've tried all of the *228 and such, but to no avail. I can only occasionally get 3G at work. My old phone, a Samsung I760 got amazing reception here - I guess I got spoiled.

I love the phone otherwise, but if I can't use it for 8-10 hours of everyday, its not really worth it. My question is, I want to stay with a android, so should I get a Moto Droid? Does it have better reception than the Inc?

Thanks for the help since I've gotta make a decision in the next day or two.
Call Verizon and explain the problem. Quickly if you only have a day or so.

Upvote 0
i really don't get the battery complaints. do you need data on all day? hae you toggled that off when you are not using it?

i keep it off a majority of the day, and turn it on only when i need it. i don't do any auto updated weather, facebook/twitter crap or email, so i have no real need for constant data. none the less what i am getting at is i can easily get 2 days outa the battery with mild use. and i have had it last 4 days with very little use. leaps and bounds better than my tp2 (which i thought was good coming from the tp)

so i would maybe look into managing your data connection as that is the biggest hog. you could also get an extended batt...hopefully tht 2150 comes out soon.

thats a bummer the reception isn't as good. i have had no issues with mine, but i have not takin it into a basement, haha. i am surprised you samsung got reception down there, you def got spoiled. i wouldn't expect any phone to get reception in a basement. and if you get a moto droid, how do you know its going to get better reception than the incredible?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was planning to go to the verizon store this afternoon. But, I'm not sure what they can do?

I'd really rather keep the Inc, and it works great when I'm anywhere but at work - great signal, voice quality etc. It just seems that its not powerful enough or whatever to handle working in the basement. But since I've had other phones that can do it, I know its the Inc - and not just tower location.

So for those who have had moto droids, do you think they have better reception than the Inc?

Upvote 0
i really don't get the battery complaints. do you need data on all day? hae you toggled that off when you are not using it?

i keep it off a majority of the day, and turn it on only when i need it. i don't do any auto updated weather, facebook/twitter crap or email, so i have no real need for constant data. none the less what i am getting at is i can easily get 2 days outa the battery with mild use. and i have had it last 4 days with very little use. leaps and bounds better than my tp2 (which i thought was good coming from the tp)

so i would maybe look into managing your data connection as that is the biggest hog. you could also get an extended batt...hopefully tht 2150 comes out soon.

thats a bummer the reception isn't as good. i have had no issues with mine, but i have not takin it into a basement, haha. i am surprised you samsung got reception down there, you def got spoiled. i wouldn't expect any phone to get reception in a basement. and if you get a moto droid, how do you know its going to get better reception than the incredible?

he didn't say anything about battery life??? color me confused

Upvote 0

Actually, I didn't have any battery complaints. I meant that for the 8-10hours that I'm at work I get minimal to no reception.

I know that my Samsung got much better reception, and I'm just wondering from those who've owned both the Inc & Droid, does the Droid get better reception?

I'm not at all trying to give the INC a bad rap - if I worked above ground LOL, it wouldn't be a question I love everything else about the INC.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was planning to go to the verizon store this afternoon. But, I'm not sure what they can do?

I'd really rather keep the Inc, and it works great when I'm anywhere but at work - great signal, voice quality etc. It just seems that its not powerful enough or whatever to handle working in the basement. But since I've had other phones that can do it, I know its the Inc - and not just tower location.

So for those who have had moto droids, do you think they have better reception than the Inc?

i have both and have tested them sitting side by side.the inc has a bit better reception than the droid so switching to a droid would not help....sorry

Upvote 0
One thing they can do is give you another DI to see if there is a problem with the radio. If they had them in stock!! But I'm surprised too because I get great reception in my basement, way better than with my BB Pearl. One thing you might want to do is wait for another DI and use your old phone for a couple of weeks. But they would have to extend your 30 day. Did you try a factory reset? It's worth a shot. It's really too bad since you like the phone so much. Give Verizon a call and have them note your account. It's important to do before you head into a store. They always review online notes first and the phone reps are usually much nicer. "This call may be monitored for quality assurance" thing.

Upvote 0
NO carrier can guarantee service in a building, let alone underground (basement). I can almost guarantee they won't do anything just because of that fact.

If you really want/need service in that location, switch back to your i760. You could also try a network extender device.

edit for redundancy.

Upvote 0
he didn't say anything about battery life??? color me confused

you are correct sir. in my defense it was early and i misuderstood, haha.

Actually, I didn't have any battery complaints. I meant that for the 8-10hours that I'm at work I get minimal to no reception.

I know that my Samsung got much better reception, and I'm just wondering from those who've owned both the Inc & Droid, does the Droid get better reception?

I'm not at all trying to give the INC a bad rap - if I worked above ground LOL, it wouldn't be a question I love everything else about the INC.

you know it varies for every location. you could try the moto droid out and see if it works better for you, reception wise. you always have 30 days to return it. and then if that doesn't work for you (assuming you still have your samsung), you could try and hold out till july/august and see if the new moto's suite your needs.

i see this kind of thing posted on here sometimes, and to be honest, it blows my mind. i would never consider turning off data on a smart phone.

this comment baffles me. thats like saying "hey my car has 400hp so i am gonna floor it constantly." its not hard to manage your data connection and it truly helps with battery life. i would really consider giving it a shot, there is even a widget for it under the "settings" category i think

Upvote 0
this comment baffles me. thats like saying "hey my car has 400hp so i am gonna floor it constantly." its not hard to manage your data connection and it truly helps with battery life. i would really consider giving it a shot, there is even a widget for it under the "settings" category i think
I think it would be more like "Hey I have a Ferrari but I'm going to leave it in the driveway because I don't want to buy gas." :eek:
I leave everything on all the time, I mean why not? Of course I'm not going to use Navigation when I'm sitting watching TV, but data? If you run out of battery power get a charger for the car or another battery as a backup. This phone is so good that it would be a shame to leave it in the driveway.

Upvote 0
NO carrier can guarantee service in a building, let alone underground (basement). I can almost guarantee they won't do anything just because of that fact.

If you really want/need service in that location, switch back to your i760. You could also try a network extender device.

edit for redundancy.

This. I work in a large concrete block building w/ a steel roof. My Dare got crappy service, and my Inc. does as well. When I called VW they said exactly the above. Signal outside building is fine, they simply cannot gurantee service in any building. I toggle airplane mode on until lunch, then put it back on after lunch. No biggie to me. No sense in draining the battery w/out service.

Upvote 0
I have the same complaint, reception is fine at home, but once I get into the city for work the reception craps out and data speeds crap out. My coworkers Moto Droid works fine, and my old Touch Pro worked fine.

I'm going to get verizon to send me a new Incredible from one of the new batches to see if that makes a difference. My phone is having other hardware issues also so I want it exchanged anyway. If not I may just wait till July and complain untill they give me a free Moto Droid2 Shadow

Also I use this phone for work in place of a BlackBerry, so I need the push email and be able to make and recieve calls. I'm a Field Engineer at the pentagon even though I'm "Field" I never leave the building.

Upvote 0
EASY FIX!
Quit your job. Duh!

HAHAHA, I wish I could. Gotta find a new one first, :p

Just got off the phone with Verizon, Evidently my "warranty" was up but she was able to override it and authorize me for a replacement Incredible. Which wont be shipped until June 14th or later, :|

On the bright side the rep said my 2 year contract is void and will begin again once I recieve the new phone so I will have an additional 30 days to cancel the contract with no penalty if the new phone still has issues.

Upvote 0
If the Droid had the stats of the Incredible, I'd have picked the Droid hands down. Would love a physical keyboard for playing games but I'll take the Incredible for superior horsepower.

I find it funny as physical keyboards on phones are being relegated to gaming. I had a Droid before this, and the keyboard really isn't all that good for gaming, because of how flat it is. The new game pad clip-ons are interesting though.

I personally can't see any other reason for a physical keyboard besides gaming on the phone. Swype is so much faster. I think it's the first text entry technology that stands a chance of replacing a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
I have the same complaint, reception is fine at home, but once I get into the city for work the reception craps out and data speeds crap out. My coworkers Moto Droid works fine, and my old Touch Pro worked fine.

I'm going to get verizon to send me a new Incredible from one of the new batches to see if that makes a difference. My phone is having other hardware issues also so I want it exchanged anyway. If not I may just wait till July and complain untill they give me a free Moto Droid2 Shadow

Also I use this phone for work in place of a BlackBerry, so I need the push email and be able to make and recieve calls. I'm a Field Engineer at the pentagon even though I'm "Field" I never leave the building.

I just got an Inc 2 days ago (so maybe it is better than older ones) and had the Droid in hand for a day before I took it back. The Inc actually had a slightly better signal strength than the Droid - maybe only -5 or so, but it seemed to average a better signal. Hopefully your new one will be better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones