Should I revert to stock before going to Verizon?

Last Updated:

1. minvarner

minvarner Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Advertisement
  2. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

3. minvarner

Em....well.....how about helping me out then?!?!? BROTHER!!!! :) Thanks!!!

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

If you return to stock, how would they know that you were rooted? Everything defaults to stock. My .02

minvarner likes this.
  5. minvarner

Well, that was kinda part of my question. I wasn't sure if they would still be able to tell that the phone had been rooted before I reverted it back to stock. I don't know if they have a way of telling or not. Thanks for your quick response. Have a great day!

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I know, Mindy, that a LOT of people have reverted to stock and returned their Droids without issue. I think if it's a warranty issue, then I don't believe they're going to dive deep into your Droid to see if you ever rooted. What could they possibly look for? Everything will be wiped to stock, and you keep your SD card to put in the new phone. They'll likely swap it out and then life goes on. Root & ROM all over again :)

7. minvarner

Thanks....I will def try to do it that way then. I really appreciate your help. Have a good day!

8. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Definitely wipe to stock, and then send it in and I won't be worried (=

9. minvarner

Thanks Riffdex! Have a great day!

10. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I had to do the exact same thing for my wife's phone. Just flashed the 2.0.1 SBF in RSD Lite and as far as Verizon could tell the phone was never rooted. This method leaves no traces that the phone was ever tinkered with. She had a replacement phone within 24 hours.

11. anderson620

anderson620 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard the only thing that doesn't revert is if you installed a new baseband. The baseband will remain since they are not ROM specific. Correct me someone if I am wrong, but that is the only thing I would look into; at least make sure if you did change the baseband that you revert that back as well BEFORE you unroot.
    FWIW, I've returned a previously rooted Eris to Verizon without incident.

12. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

I returned a rooted DROID to Verizon and they didn't even care/notice it. They sent me a new phone in the mail and I sent my rooted phone back in the box they provided w/out incident.

13. minvarner

Thanks everyone for the advice. If I revert to stock, can I still use EasyTether to connect to the net via usb cable until I go to Verizon? I just moved and the internet will not be set up until Thurs. I do not want to revert to stock until the last minute if I cannot use the net after reverting. Also, could my phone have a virus causing it to act this way or is the screen going bad?

14. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I don't tether, so I'm quite unfamiliar with it, but I'm under the impression that you need to be rooted to do so. Seeing as Verizon tacks on another $20 a month to use a phone as a wireless hub, I think that's a fair assumption.

As far as your Droid, it def sounds like it needs to be replaced. I doubt a virus would do that to your Droid, but if you have a nandroid backup you could revert to before the issue took place, you could find out for sure.

15. minvarner

Thanks to everyone for their expert advice. I went to Verizon after much frustration with my phone still rooted (I could not revert back to stock for some reason) and without incident, they said that they would send me a new phone. It was supposed to be delivered today but I did not receive it. If it does not come tomorrow, I will call them to see what is going on. Thanks for all of your advice and have a great day!!!

Mindy

16. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

Why weren't you able to revert back to stock out of curiosity? I've tried putting my phone through all kinds of scenarios and RSD Lite is damn near fail safe in my opinion with a stock sbf

17. dys07

dys07 Active Member

just microwave the dang thing and fubar it... they'll never knowwwwww MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

for real though a buddy of mine did that and it worked. he got his warranty replacement. but its NOT THE COOLEST THING TO DO... its actually quite douchebaggy. anyways good luck.

18. minvarner

@ JD: I used the stock image file from ROM Mgr and it kept telling me installation failed so I gave up out of frustration. The guy at the store said he had never seen a screen act the way mine has.

Thanks all for the well wishes....still no replacement phone yet, if it does not arrive by Mon, I am going back to the store and complain.