• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I risk updating to ICS?

DarkSky

Feb 22, 2010
My phone runs absolutely fine right now.

Model: GT-I9100
Android: 2.3.3
Baseband: I9100XXKE4
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE7-CL215725
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWKE7

I see a lot of people have had problems after the update: losing data, having to do a factory wipe, etc.. Is it worth the risk of updating to ICS?

(I'd be doing the official over-the-air update through the "Software Update" feature on the phone)

I did a factory wipe and upgraded. After google play replaces market restart phone. Only issue I have had so far is with wifi, it works but crashed a few times. Not very helpful!

Other than that a singe. Odin is so easy to use its crazy!

ICS is nice, very much more responsive and virtually lag free on everything. Browser is STUPIDLY fast now. Using Chrome beta atm and it seems to be pretty nice.

Id say go for it if you dont mind wiping the phone. Otherwise maybe not.

Upvote 0
I did a factory wipe and upgraded. After google play replaces market restart phone. Only issue I have had so far is with wifi, it works but crashed a few times. Not very helpful!

Other than that a singe. Odin is so easy to use its crazy!

ICS is nice, very much more responsive and virtually lag free on everything. Browser is STUPIDLY fast now. Using Chrome beta atm and it seems to be pretty nice.

Id say go for it if you dont mind wiping the phone. Otherwise maybe not.

Thanks. yah I'll probably pass on it unless an app comes out that I just have to have, and it requires ICS. I've got far too much stuff on my phone to do a wipe. All my contacts, apps, games, settings in apps, custom settings on messaging, etc, etc etc... 'Think I'll just skip it.

Upvote 0
My phone runs absolutely fine right now.

Model: GT-I9100
Android: 2.3.3
Baseband: I9100XXKE4
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE7-CL215725
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWKE7

I see a lot of people have had problems after the update: losing data, having to do a factory wipe, etc.. Is it worth the risk of updating to ICS?

(I'd be doing the official over-the-air update through the "Software Update" feature on the phone)

since you're using 2.3.3, its def worth updating to ICS, as battery life on GB 2.3.3. is pretty grim. you should notice a major improvement in battery with ICS.

your data etc should be fine with an OTA update, but if you're still weary (and not rooted), you could always make a straight backup of photos etc by connecting your S2 to a PC etc. this won't make a backup of your system data, but if you have a google account set up on your phone, make sure you sync with it before doing the ICS update.

Reactions: DarkSky
Upvote 0
since you're using 2.3.3, its def worth updating to ICS, as battery life on GB 2.3.3. is pretty grim. you should notice a major improvement in battery with ICS.

Hmm... my battery life isn't too bad. And i've seen posts on here of battery life being terrible after the upgrade to ICS.

your data etc should be fine with an OTA update, but if you're still weary (and not rooted), you could always make a straight backup of photos etc by connecting your S2 to a PC etc. this won't make a backup of your system data, but if you have a google account set up on your phone, make sure you sync with it before doing the ICS update.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... it's still a lot of app data to lose. I know the program App Backup & Restore will do SOME stuff, but not even close to all (my gf just used it to upgrade her Asus tablet).

And with my luck, I'd be one of the people posting "phone so SLOW after update" or "battery gets sucked quickly after update" etc. I'm the guy that ALWAYS has bad stuff happen to whenever I update my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones