Should I root my Evo?

Last Updated:

1. Rcecarbldr

Rcecarbldr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the HTC Hero and I rooted it sometime ago. It works better than Stock but it's still a laggy piece of crap IMO and constantly has little issues that just drive me bonkers. I have an Evo coming next week and just wonder if it's worth Rooting it also or just leaving it stock. I hear it works great without rooting it so I'm just wondering.

Advertisement
  2. Evoixmrftw

Evoixmrftw Well-Known Member

Yes root it.
    /thread

But I'm assuming your gonna want reasons. Lessee... better battery life, custom themes, no sense if you want, get rid of sprint crapware, overclocking...

3. Evoixmrftw

Evoixmrftw Well-Known Member

Ooh! And wireless tether for free. can't forget that one, though personally I don't use it...

4. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

Do you have any reason for rooting? If you don't, then no, don't root. If you look through the "benefits of rooting" and decide you want some of those benefits, then yes, go ahead and root.

As a side note, if you have the most recent build you may not be able to root just yet. Last I heard is that they are working on it. Or, you may be able to root but just not with unrevoked 3.21 which is what most people do. I am not 100% sure on this though.

5. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

An stock Evo is already an excellent phone. IMO, a rooted Evo is a better phone. Depending on the ROM you choose, it can run faster & smoother, with better battery life, though some of them do some functions better, some not as well. Any of them can be a bit buggy sometimes, so it pays to keep up with and flash updates. Beyond that, there's free tethering (with or without cable), unlocked nand, root apps, themes and mods, etc.

The responses you receive in this forum will most likely favor rooting. Responses from the stock forum above might be more objective or middle of the road. Either way, YMMV.

Note: If you do choose to root and flash, do not [repeat: DO NOT] accept any OTA updates from Sprint. Every single one of them has unrooted the phone, plugged the exploit, and generally created problems with rooted phones. Wait on updated ROMs that incorporate the changes. They come within a couple of days, sometimes within hours, and once in awhile, even before Sprint drops the OTA.

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

don't root. you will never put the evo down

Evoixmrftw likes this.
  7. Rcecarbldr

Rcecarbldr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The phone has an app called Sprint Mobile Hotspot. Do you have to pay to use this app?

8. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

IF you are rooted and IF you have installed a ROM that has it unlocked, then NO, you do not have to pay for it.

IF you are rooted AND you install the Wireless Tether app, you will get the same functionality(for all practicall purposes) as the native hotspot app and not have to pay for anything.