Should I root my phone? New user here.

Last Updated:

1. sentinelace

sentinelace Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My phone is on the newest kernal as of today. 2.1-update1 and kernel version 2.6.29

Is it safe to root? What are the benefits? I'm a nerd at heart ;)

I do notice I have to kill apps running in the back ground. Anyone tell me what the benefits of rooting are? Also can I do it on my version? If so, is there a guide? Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

What phone?

If the stock OS works fine, no need to root.

If you want to tinker, root.

3. sentinelace

Sorry I have a droid. I just wanted to know what all you can do by rooting. I heard you can overclock and a few other things. Can I get apps for free?

4. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Why don't you just go ahead pay for stuff instead of stealing it.

IOWA likes this.
  5. sentinelace

stealing? I was just trying to see what the point of rooting was.

6. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

It's if your a true nerd and enjoy pushing your phone to limits. Allows full access of the phone to do whatever with. HOWEVER if you don't care, just leave it. Besides, you can get free apps without rooting it. I just am not going to tell you how ;)

7. sentinelace

can you link me to the root guide?

8. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

You can't root 2.1 on the Droid..yet. Give it a couple weeks or even months (doubt that long) for somebody to figure it out.

9. sentinelace

why can't you root it? It's blocked? What happens if you root and then a update comes out?

10. droidx

droidx Well-Known Member

if you have 2.1 on your droid, you cant root it as of now, sorry.. its like updating the 3gs to 3.1.2 before they have a jailbreak for it, they say dont update until told, if you do, then no jb and u have to wait. in your case, you just happen to have gotten a 2.1 phone.... i guess. so be patient and wait until someone has gotten root for 2.1 and bam. simple..

11. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

If someone running 2.1 wants to root AND DOES NOT want to wait for 2.1 to get rooted...this is your only option:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html

once you flash your phone with the 2.0.1 image, you can root using the guides in this forum or by using an app like DM Updater...read up on rooting before you just start tinkering. There is a lot of info on this site...take a day and READ...it will help you immensely.

It DOES work...but
    if you don't read the instructions you will damage your phone beyond repair...if you can read...you will be fine

What rooting your phone will do for you is make your phone faster by overclocking...and allow you a much better level of customization by flashing custom ROMs, themes, etc.

12. sentinelace

Yeah, I see it does have a lot of bugs and at times is slow. What happens if you root it and then a update comes out?

13. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

then either you get the update or you dont if its blocked. you can easily allow ota updates. rooting will not effect app updates. rooting will not give you some magical warez app store either, and just so you know that is highly frowned upon in this forum.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Even the quality apps are only a few dollars. Even if it's purely from a money standpoint it's not worth trying to steal.

15. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member

Let me guess, you came from an iPod touch, iPhone. Your not alone, many of my friends are "stealers" and think that hacking the Droid will allow you free apps. If you don't understand that Android is open source then don't even try rooting. If you understand what open source means then you know the answer to can you get free "apps" without rooting. Second, if you just got your Droid then why do you want to root already. Aren't you happy with your device? I waited about 2 months before saying that stock was getting old. If you really want to root, then you will have to follow the guide above, and considering you are "new" you may wanna pass on having a chance to brick your phone and get familiar with Recovery, ADB etc. So right now, don't root, but maybe in a month after learning the "ropes" then root.

16. sentinelace

I am familar with open source. Seems this is a linux based phone.... Linux is awesome. Usually a pain to get an OS up and going with things you need, but when it's up it runs forever. Anyway, I just hate the following:

Proccesses stay open all the time, have to use task killer to kill them
    apps lock up
    Some apps don't repond due to other apps running

I believe the over clock would be a great fix for this. I'll probably wait on the next update for 2.1 though unless you guys think different?

17. CRPercodani

I wouldn't bother waiting for any more updates unless your completely fine with how the phone is now. I would just root and try out Pete's Bugless Beast ROM. Also grab a overclocked kernel and mess around with the settings.

18. sentinelace

sounds good. Which guide do you recommend to follow?

19. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

20. sentinelace

cool, so that guide works on all firmwares?

21. sentinelace

okay. Where do i get these?

22. sentinelace

I get an error can't open/cache/recovery/command when I try and apply the update.zip

23. CRPercodani

Ugh I don't remember how to get around that error. It is pretty common though, maybe someone else here knows the fix for it.

24. sentinelace

From what I read it is due to being on 2.1

I am flashing back to the previous version and I'll post results. I do want to get those apps you mentioned, where I get the overclock? and bug program?

25. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I assume the "bug program" you are talking about is "Bugless Beast." That is a complete ROM.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/30773-bugless-beast-v0-9-awsome-features-nexusmod-works.html

As for overclocking, you will need SetCPU from the market and a kernel that supports overclocking. When your ROM is flashed, SetCPU needs to be set for "Autodetect" in device selection, not Motorola Droid.