• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I Root my Phone??

Welcome to the forums!

Well,that's really up to you. I rooted my EVO and haven't looked back since. Flashing a new ROM onto the phone is like having a new phone all over again.

I would go check out the all things root section of your devices forum and read up on what method to use and what your options are after rooting the device.

Upvote 0
I agree, it's really up to you. If you are happy with your phone the way it is, just keep on keepin' on.

If you want to experiment with ROMs it looks like the SG Ace has a LOT of support and ROMs in it's Root subforum.

The reason I rooted my Droid X after a few months of ownership was I wanted to use a screen cap program (ShootMe) which required it. It was a few months later till I tried and used a few ROMs but I seem to still come back to stock with root (where I am now).

Just remember: Rooting voids your warranty and probably any extended warranty you might pay for. Also there is a chance you can brick your phone (unusable), but the people here can walk you thru getting it back, 95% of the time or better.

If you do decide to root and ROM always read the instructions twice before starting. Most of the time the people writing the instructions, write them as seasoned ROMers, and beginners can get lost. But feel free to ask questions in your phones forums and root sub forum. That's what they are there for.

One more thing, if you do root, and want to change ROMs, backup your current ROM (stock) with Clockwork Mod. If you don't like what you installed, you can always go back to exactly where you were. (See, seasoned ROMers forget to talk about this stuff).

Upvote 0
“Should I Root my Phone??” is a question I’ve been asking myself ten times a day for over year, and I still haven’t been able to answer it with a “yes.”

First, I don’t need to, this thing already does a thousand times more than my previous “smartphone” (Palm i500, the cutting edge in 2003).

Second, I think the rooting craze is just the result of owners being fed up with carriers/manufacturers restricting us, something that they’ll understand someday.

Third, I might as well wait another six months, when it’s time for a new phone and maybe new carrier.

Reactions: Doit2it
Upvote 0
hi,

Just wondering whether i should root my phone or not?
Hello DannyBoy.. :)

Good question.. unfortunately the decision of doing so solely belongs to you. What I can do is to give an explanation of what "rooting" is all about.

Rooting your Android device involves adding in a small Linux application called “su”. It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run with elevated permissions. Everything that runs code, whether it’s an application or the user, has a permission level set by the operating system.

Why Linux? Well the heart of the Android operating system is the Linux kernel. You'll hear a lot of nerdy geek-speak about the Linux kernel, but all you really need to know is that it's what is interfacing Android to your hardware, and ultimately has complete control. When you stray outside the "normal" way of using Android and start entering commands directly, the kernel is who you're talking to.

The root user is the boss and can do anything (good or bad) on the device. From simple things like clearing the cache from core applications, to more advanced things like wirelessly tethering a laptop or iPod touch through your phone, root can do it. The su program is a sort of gateway that lets applications or users act as root while doing tasks.

The long and short of it is, if you don't need to root -- Dont!

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones