• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

should I root or not

Officially I am ending my search to root my phone. I am at a brick wall. Still could not get a my computer to recognize adb device in the regaw method of rooting, no serial number, cannot go any farther. Installed pdaNet, found adb device and device is working properly. Go to command prompt and I get adb device error again. Oh well, was really wanting to root my phone. Thanks to android forums for all your help, unfortunately I am going to stick with stock 2.1, even though I hate this!!!1:( Great thing is I learned more about rooting, flashing.... and my phone in the last 2 weeks.

Upvote 0
Hi! I am extremely new but have been doing a bit of reading. I just ordered a Hero today with my upgrade credits. I would have gone the EVO route but feel this was a better choice (and cheaper) for my first ever Droid phone. Heck, first ever phone that does more than take calls and very limited texting. I am trying to learn everything I can, to get the best out of the Hero.

I am wondering if maybe andygu3 might try reverting to the 1.5 version and then using the kitchen to auto-root. After that you can flash a new ROM that will upgrade you to the 2.1 platform? You just sound so disheartened and maybe you shouldn't give up. If trying to root from 2.1 is giving you a hard time, try reverting to 1.5 and go from there!

For me my biggest worry is my new Hero will come shipped with the 2.1 (6). I personally am still a little confused as to how to flash a previous version without first being rooted. But I have a week to figure it out before my Hero arrives and plenty of reading material on this site!

Officially I am ending my search to root my phone. I am at a brick wall. Still could not get a my computer to recognize adb device in the regaw method of rooting, no serial number, cannot go any farther. Installed pdaNet, found adb device and device is working properly. Go to command prompt and I get adb device error again. Oh well, was really wanting to root my phone. Thanks to android forums for all your help, unfortunately I am going to stick with stock 2.1, even though I hate this!!!1:( Great thing is I learned more about rooting, flashing.... and my phone in the last 2 weeks.

Upvote 0
Hey andygu go to c: android sdk ( on your computer) and make sure that it does not show two sets of anroid sdk files . I had that problem also about the no device. Try that bud, you will enjoy it trust i just rooted mine Tuesday night. All else fails go to the unrevoked root and it shows you pictures of what it is supposed to look like.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Hi! I am extremely new but have been doing a bit of reading. I just ordered a Hero today with my upgrade credits. I would have gone the EVO route but feel this was a better choice (and cheaper) for my first ever Droid phone. Heck, first ever phone that does more than take calls and very limited texting. I am trying to learn everything I can, to get the best out of the Hero.

I am wondering if maybe andygu3 might try reverting to the 1.5 version and then using the kitchen to auto-root. After that you can flash a new ROM that will upgrade you to the 2.1 platform? You just sound so disheartened and maybe you shouldn't give up. If trying to root from 2.1 is giving you a hard time, try reverting to 1.5 and go from there!

For me my biggest worry is my new Hero will come shipped with the 2.1 (6). I personally am still a little confused as to how to flash a previous version without first being rooted. But I have a week to figure it out before my Hero arrives and plenty of reading material on this site!

congrats on getting a Hero!!

the reason that Andygu3 didn't go back to 1.5 is.....once you're at the official 2.1 you no longer have the option of going back. had he rooted at 1.5 (like me and many others) then he would still have that option.

Your Hero will most likely arrive with the .6 update installed. But don't worry... look at this post http://androidforums.com/869753-post63.html as it has a link to the RUU for the .5 version as well as a link to the APK file needed to root your phone.

Reactions: prr2freya
Upvote 0
Your Hero will most likely arrive with the .6 update installed. But don't worry... look at this post http://androidforums.com/869753-post63.html as it has a link to the RUU for the .5 version as well as a link to the APK file needed to root your phone.

So it is an exe file? How do I use it. I know this sounds silly but I did read on here that if you have the "6" version you must revert to the "5" version in order to root. And I am understanding the tutorial for rooting the 2.1 version.. I am just still not sure on how to apply this file to revert to the "5" version if I do get stuck with the "6". I thought to change a rom you had to put it in the root? and "6" can't be rooted.

Sorry if it sounds silly, but I have been looking and looking and that is the only part i am still confused about... which is why I am foolishly hoping my Hero comes with no updates and is 1.5.. lol

Upvote 0
Hopster, I will give that a try. I am running out of ideas. I've tried right clicking and running as administrator too. Still nothing, is there a way of setting up android Sdk file as the administrator? Just wanted to make sure I tried that too!

Yeah man i understand it can be frustrating but i didnt do that regaw root, i did the unrevoked root and it took me a minute to figure out that it had two android sdk files, and that was what was stopping me from advancing in the root.

try this out man its the unrevoked root and basically the same but it shows you what its supposed to look like.
[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

but rooting is well worth it man. i am still learning on how to add stuff and take stuff out. i should have done this when i bought my phone.

Upvote 0
I've looked into unrevoked, that's about it. Since I have not been able to root with the regaw method, it became a fun but frustrating process trying to figure out what the problem is. Should I look into unrevoked more? I guess since I was not able to see my phone's serial number after adb devices, I should find the solution to that first.

Upvote 0
So it is an exe file? How do I use it. I know this sounds silly but I did read on here that if you have the "6" version you must revert to the "5" version in order to root. And I am understanding the tutorial for rooting the 2.1 version.. I am just still not sure on how to apply this file to revert to the "5" version if I do get stuck with the "6". I thought to change a rom you had to put it in the root? and "6" can't be rooted.

Sorry if it sounds silly, but I have been looking and looking and that is the only part i am still confused about... which is why I am foolishly hoping my Hero comes with no updates and is 1.5.. lol

to run the RUU, make sure you have HTC Sync installed (it needs the drivers in order to see the phone)

• Your Hero has a fully-charged battery
  • You have the USB data cable that came with your Hero
  • You have closed all running applications on your computer and disabled standby and hibernation modes
  • You have installed HTC Sync on your computer
    • Go to HTC's support site
    • Click on the Download link for HTC Sync
    • Select Run in the dialog box and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation

then follow the instructions from sprint.

1. Download the RUU ROM Update Utility and save it to your computer desktop
  2. Double click the .exe file and click Run in Windows XP or Yes in Windows 7
  3. On the Welcome Screen, be sure to read the caution message and Read Me file; check the box next to I understand and click Next
  4. On the next screen, follow the steps listed and click Next
  5. You will see the message Verifying information on your Android phone. Please wait…
  6. Once the verification is finished, you will see current information about your Hero such as model ID, image version and language; click Update to proceed
  7. The screen will show information about the update; to continue, click Next
  8. You will receive a confirmation message that you are ready to update your Hero and the approximate time it will take; click Next to begin the update installation. Note: It is very important that you do not remove the USB cable or launch any programs during the update installation.
  9. The update is complete when you see the message Congratulations! Your ROM update has been completed. Your Android phone is now ready for use.; click Finish to exit
  10. Your Hero will reboot and be ready for set up

Reactions: prr2freya
Upvote 0
I've looked into unrevoked, that's about it. Since I have not been able to root with the regaw method, it became a fun but frustrating process trying to figure out what the problem is. Should I look into unrevoked more? I guess since I was not able to see my phone's serial number after adb devices, I should find the solution to that first.

Depends, if your a tinker'r/problem solver continue down the same path your on and report back what you end up finding. Or, go ahead and try another method.

Depends on how much/fast you want to root.

Wish I could be of more help, but like most I came from 1.5

Upvote 0

im tellin ya man, if you do unrevoked step by step, it should only take about 20 minutes. its just the placement of the android-sdk file on your hard drive in c:, and extract the file heroroot.zip to the tools in android-sdk/tools and copy and paste the stuff he says to do, it will take you no time at all. its all the same downloads as ragaw just different rooter.

my problem was when i extracted to the c: it had
c:
--android-sdk <------ this did not need to be there
-----tools <------ also this did not need to be there either,
-------android-sdk <---- this was right
--------->(addons) "
--------->(platforms) "
--------->(tools) "
----------sdk readme
----------sdk setup

Upvote 0
Nothing, still no luck! Laying out what I've done:
(1)had 2.27...6, reran my saved RUU 2.27...5. software# is 2.27.651.5
(2)downloaded sdk (windows sdk, I'm running vista 64 bit), htc sync (which is newest version), hero root
(3)sdk, extracted files to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
(4)hero root, extracted files to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
(5)in C, the file is android-sdk-windows. In a-s-w is a file tools (48.6 mb), open that file which is a-s-w\tools: 4 files; a-s-w (42.8 mb), boot-patched (2.17 mb), recovery.img (3.20 mb), unrevoked (429 kb), also in the sfk file installed the usb_driver and the drivers installed as adb interface, that driver is working properly
(6)in device manager, phone working properly, all the phones infromation is right there
(7)debugging checked, plug in phone (charge only), and I go into command prompt and type in:cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, type in adb devices and I get: adb is not recognized as an operable......

Can't figure where to go from there, tried running as adminstrator in command prompt, still nothing.
Anything I"m doing wrong?:eek:

Upvote 0
That's what I'm beginning to think to, what a pain! Unrevoked, is it something I should look into more? With Vista not recognizing adb, would I have any problems down the line, ie: flashing, recovery....

Yeah bro just go to that link I posted and copy and paste the commands. Give it a try. Let us know how it goes. You can do all recovering and flashing from your phone. That's how I got.fresh2.3.3 on my phone.

Upvote 0
Hey! I got my phone and it is now rooted and backed up and waiting for me to flash a new rom!!! At first I ran in to a LOT of problems getting from 2.1 (6) back to 2.1 (5). I was beating my head against the wall untill I finally figured out the problem was my windows drive is not Drive C. I already knew that and never have problems. But HTC drivers would not let me install the (5) RUU. So for those who have a different drive as their main drive you need to create a fake temp drive so the drivers acknowledge it.

Do this:

"The subst command basically maps one location to a new virtual drive letter. For
example you could map "c:\my documents" to your g: drive and if you go into
g: you'll really be in my documents...

You'll need nothing allocated to your c: drive, so in the properties for
your drive that's currently taking up the c: space move it to another letter
(like d.

Then drop into a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type "subst c: g:\"
(assuming g: is your windows drive). This will make a new drive (until you
remover the drive with "subst c: /d" or reboot) called c: which will really
be your g: drive. Your g: drive will still be there of course."

Worked like a charm! Then I used the unrevoked method and all is well:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones