Should I Root?

Last Updated:

1. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey kids, how y'all doin'? I'm writing because I'm new to the EVO and Android in general, and I keep reading about the benefits of rooting the phone, even though I know little about it.

I'm wary of modifying the phone, but it sounds like a lot of folks are pleased with the results, so I guess my question is, if I want the most out of my awesome phone (and I do love it), should I root it, or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice. :)

Advertisement
  2. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 Well-Known Member

You will have to make the decision. If you read through some of these posts. A lot of what you are asking has already been answered. Please read the sticky in the Root section here.

And also here

[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers

There is even a Youtube video to how to root.

Good luck

3. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

If you want the full potential of your phone, yes.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The sticky thread has lots of good info for people new to rooting, written for people who need to learn the basics. Go study that for a while, and if you have more questions not covered there, feel free to ask.

5. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

+1 totally agree

6. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

A simple answer to your question is yes. The EVO performs much better once rooted and the FPS are uncapped not to mention all the other benifits you will have.

7. Brian Rubin

Yeah, I've been reading about the benefits, but I'm always wary of modifying this stuff, and one thing I can't find info on is the risks. What might the risks be in rooting my EVO?

8. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

This is a tough question to answer. Why? If you know what you're doing, the risk is low to none. In fact, never have I ever encountered anyone in this forum complain that they were bricked (completely unrecoverable). People get stuck all the time, but if you know what you're doing, you can fix it.

That's why it's important to keep reading until you feel comfortable you know what you're doing.

I'm being as honest as possible. There is only one risk, and that is bricking your phone. And it's quite hard for that to happen. You have to **** up all three of the following components of your phone:

1) bootloader
    2) recovery image
    3) operating system

If any one of these components is healthy, you cannot brick your phone. Here's why:

Assume you manage to corrupt your bootloader during the root process (unlikely). Your phone will still boot to the OS, since the bootloader is bypassed unless you specifically boot into it. From there, you can try again.

Assume you flashed the unlocked bootloader, but you manage to corrupt both your recovery image and your OS. You can use the bootloader's Fastboot mode to flash a good custom recovery. And from there, you can flash a healthy OS. I don't think it's even possible to break both the recovery and the OS at the same time. This is a purely hypothetical situation.

Assume you have a corrupt bootloader, a corrupt OS, but a healthy recovery image. You can boot directly into recovery and flash a healthy OS. Then, you can boot normally and re-root to fix the bootloader. Again, this is an entirely hypothetical situation.

All of these situations are extremely unlikely. The worst case situation I've seen is someone with a locked bootloader with a broken custom recovery but a working OS. In this case, they just need to try to root again.

Confused more? :)

Jayo619 likes this.
  9. Brian Rubin

I'm confused less, actually. Thanks!

10. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

No problem, if you have any questions, just ask.

There's always someone around to help

11. Rko48

Rko48 New Member

Hey you guys, I'm a newbie to the android and root, and I just wanna ask one question.

If I root my Evo, how do I customize it?, I'm a Batman fan and I would like my Evo to be more like a Batwave (if that makes any sense lol)