Should I root?

Last Updated:

1. Peji

Peji Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just need a straight forward answer from someone trustworthy before i might go through it, should I root? And if so, to what?And after answering the previous, can you walk me through on how to root? And if it all goes wrong, how to get back to normal...thanks loads if anyone answers :)

Also, what are the advantages of rooting?

Advertisement
  2. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

3. Peji

Yea yea but I just want a straight forward answer from someone that won't troll ._.

4. nedamdam

Peji I do believe there were many straight forward answers there. No reason to make another thread. You got your pros and contras. The final decision is up to you.

You need someone to tell you root? Come on... It wont become safer or more dangerous.
    Its up to you. You could use the universal androot even. Should be on the market. Its 1-click app.

5. Peji

You're right, I shouldn't have made another topic but they're so many pros and u said it was dangerous which left me conflicted. If I mess up this phone, there's no going back cause I got it from england and Ive moved so yea. I'm still wondering whether to take the risk and if Its really worth it :/

6. jared1234

jared1234 Well-Known Member

lets put it this way, its not that hard to root, if you skrew up there is always a chance at bricking your phone. But the people that brick their phones usually forget a step or two.

It is tottaly worth it to root your phone... Since i have its like it has breathed new life into a phone that otherwise in tech years would have been old and obsoleit.

Now i can load new roms for the hero that come out almost on a monthly basis...its like having a new phone every few months.

Worst case scenario you f up...well guess what, thats what this community is for. I have messed up a few times...came here, found answers, problem fixed...everyone in the android community loves helping others because its fun to figure out problems and solve them. infact at times it feels like its a competition on who can solve the most amount of problems and be crowned king of the Android's!

I have not come across one problem that wasnt solved with in two days at the most!....

It seems 9 out of 10 people root there phones, the 10th person doesnt because they dont know what it is or what it does.

So theer ya go, root the bloody thing already, Hero's are old so they have what would seem the most support.

cheers and stop posting these questions over and over!!!

=)

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Well, let's be clear. 'Rooting' is a simple 30 second process, since it's essentially just installing an app. Not much risk there at all, if any.

But custom ROMs are what most people root for, since they bring all the fun stuff. In my opinion it's 100% worth it to switch to a custom ROM, but that might not be true for you. Are you prepared to tweak and fiddle with your phone? You can a lot more out of your phone, but you have to put more effort into setting it up. (And you may become like some of us here, flashing a new ROM every week ;) )

Flashing a custom ROM is actually pretty safe. You might get a phone that can't boot if something goes wrong (happened to me last night as it happens), but you can always pull it back again. Short of flashing files you shouldn't be, radio files are the only dangerous things you can flash. But so long as you know how to do it, radios can be flashed safely too. Lots of people here, my self included, have flashed radios plenty of times.

Of course, if your current radio works fine, it will work fine with a custom ROM :)

8. Peji

Let's see, I got androot and will root her after school, after that, I just look for that villain Rom based on 2.1 right? I'll also need a guide., Ill look for one on forums. Final question, will my SD be wiped?

9. nedamdam

Only if you partition it for the a2sd or how its called. But you can always do a backup :) .(copy the SD to the PC :) )

Btw after you root download Titanium Backup and backup everything :)

10. Peji

Crap,forgot the most important question of all. Will rooting/adding custom rom restore my phone to being locked to orange? I need it to work for all sim cards, I'd like it unlocked .-.

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

No, once unlocked it remains unlocked.

12. Peji

Alright, good. Im backing up all my music now, wish me luck, will root with androot in a sec :p

13. Peji

Ok, Idk if I rooted successfully, how do I know if im rooted? I wanna be sure before I go onto the custom rom step, although when I try to use androot again it says "you're already rooted" but yeah, how do i check.

14. Xyro

Install titanium backup from the market (if you haven't already) and it will tell you if it can get root access. You may need busybox installed for TB to work, but if you hit the 'Problems?' button on the main screen it should get that for you.

(You may also need the superuser app installed, I'm not sure. You can get that from the market too).

You'll be using TB to backup your apps, so this isn't wasted effort :)

15. Peji

Ok,Ill get it. What about the flashing recovery image, i need a link to that as well(tbh, idk what it does but i think its important.)

16. Peji

Nevermind, I found out how to back up

17. Peji

Ok, I've done everything now(recovery image etc) now one last thing, the last problem. When I first did the recovery image thing, it worked all fine and dandy but now that I've put the rom on my phone, when I try to boot in recovery mode, I just get a red triangle and exclamation mark. I reinserted my battery and just turned on phone normally(thank God it worked). Where do I go from here? The unlockr guide says nothing about the red triangle... HELPz

18. Xyro

So you've got the custom ROM running and everything but now when you try to go to the recovery menu you're getting the triangle and exclamation mark? Is there any text on that screen?

19. Peji

No, I didnt get the custom rom running. I put it on my sd card and when I try to reboot in recovery, red triangle.

20. Xyro

Then you never replaced the recovery menu, that's the stock one you're looking at.

Assuming your rooting has worked, go to the market and download 'ROM Manager' and 'Superuser' by ChainsDD. Then open ROM manager and tell it to flash the clockwork recovery menu. If that works, booting to the recovery should bring up clockwork, not the read triangle :)

21. Peji

I have an app called Superuser Permissions,same thing?

and also i already have rom manager

22. Xyro

Same thing :)

So what happens when you pick the first option in ROM manager to flash the recovery menu?

23. Peji

Ok, I managed to sucessfully boot in recovery, at top it says ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1

The only options I see are

reboot system now
    apply sdcard: update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    install zip from sdcard
    nandroid
    partition menu
    advanced

What do I do now? lol

24. Xyro

Now you need to pick a custom ROM :)

Do you want 2.1/2.2? Do you want one with HTC Sense or one that's plain android? Do you value speed + features or stability?

25. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

NANDROID!!! :D

Before you do ANYTHING else, select the "nandroid" option and then backup. Once you have that everything becomes much more relaxed 'cos you know you can recover if something goes wrong.