Should I root?

Last Updated:

1. mig1980

mig1980 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good day everyone. I have been comtemplating rooting my phone. I must admit that I am a bit concerned that it will fail or brick. I wanted to ask everyone if you could tell me the reasons for rooting and what benefits would I see?

Also, what is the best and easiest way to root my EVO and should I stick with the stock ROM or are there better ones? I would appreciate as much info as possible since I know very little about rooting. Would I also be able to download apps for free?

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Matlock likes this.
  3. mig1980

I read that article already. So that would be the best way of rooting?? If so, I will attempt it. What about the apps? I was under the impression that rooting would allow me to download all apps on the amrket for free. Is that not the case?

4. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

That is not the case. Paid apps will cost you just as much as they always did.

5. mig1980

Interesting, so it is not like jailbraking an iPhone then. So does the Market have a bunch of apps that are only for phones that are rooted? The reason I ask is because I looked at the apps like ROM Manager which do ot state to be root only apps but is it a root only app?

6. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Follow the guide I posted and use unrevoked. Its simple. Its easy. Its hard to mess up. Just follow exactly what it says.

7. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

I guess this could be a long discussion that I really don't want to get into. It is similar to jailbreaking the iPhone. Android phones allow third party apps....iPhone does not. Generally, you jailbreak an iPhone to be able to get third party apps onto the phone. Back to your original question..... there are apps out there that might cost money that you may be able to load onto your phone....rooted or not. Swype could be an example. You are somewhat bootlegging the app and you do not have to be rooted to do it because Android allows you to put third party apps onto your phone....we call them .apk. You can get an apk anywhere and load them without getting them in the market. My answer above was related to paid apps in the market. Rooting your phone does not cause paid apps to all of the sudden become free in the market....that was my only point.

PS...I know nothing about iPhone jailbreaking and very little about rooting....:):p;):D