Should I root?

Last Updated:

1. pogie

pogie New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone

I've just bought a Desire from ebay. It was listed as unlocked, and it has accepted my T-Mobile sim card. There is no branding on the box or the handset, and no network specific 'bloatware' that I can see. However, there is a Vodafone symbol that appears for a few seconds when I turn the phone on. So I would say it has come from Vodafone but is unlocked to any network.

I would like to have a clean slate, delete things like the music player etc. and free up more memory. Is it wise to root it just for these reasons? I am a complete newbie who would need to be spoon fed exactly what to do! Also, is it even possible to do it with a Vodafone handset? (It has an SLCD screen).

Advertisement
  2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Read, read, read some more. Learn. Only you can decide whether or not you wanna root. Other than an inquisitive mind, there is no reason to root!

3. barneystuta

barneystuta Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks about it, should. It isn't hard now, and it free's up many apps that are root only. If you want to get the best out of your phone, you should root.

If you are happy with how things are, then don't bother.

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

ting is alot of the stock apps he wants to delete are in system, that wont free up any space for him as data/app is the area of concern.

root is important for custom roms though and that would give you alternatives to save on space

5. droidzone

droidzone Well-Known Member

Well, rooting + DATA2SD=Unlimited space. :D

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

25357636735794GB to be exact

7. droidzone

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

you would still need a custom rom with init.d support unless he knows how to build one himself

9. droidzone

Oh well, if he gets Teppic74's Stock rooted ROM, he wont be missing anything..except the bloatware. :D

The Desire Generic Rom on CookMyRom.se allows an option of adding APPS2SD..Does anyone know whether they're referring to the Froyo implementation, or whether this has A2SD+ support? I dont want either, and want one for DATA2SD..Of course Teppic74' s ROM gives both options, but I wanted to cook my own.. :)