Last Updated:

1. Racheluk

Racheluk Active Member This Topic's Starter

If these phones are so so good why dont they work

Anyone

Advertisement
  2. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

Post a little cryptic, are you experiencing problems?

3. Racheluk

Since changing the mail icon The icon doesnt work at all

4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Problems tend to be as a result of inexperience and/or insufficient knowledge, rather than a problem with the hardware.

5. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

What programme are you using to change icon, maybe someone will be able to help :)

6. Eris Ed

Can you explain what app you are using and what you did to change the icon?

7. Racheluk

LOL im female:eek::eek::eek: perhaps i should of got an easier phone then

8. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

In reply to this and your other thread. Once you change the mail icon to something non standard you will lose the "new message" numbers. This will have been design to use the default icon so the app will not cope and depending on how you set up the shortcut then it may even revert back to the default icon when you receive new mail because thats what its programmed to do. I think you would need to set up a custom shortcut to the app and reside yourself to the fact you lose the numbers.

With regards to your opener as Ed said, its a little more complicated due to the fact that you can do so much. Once you get your head round it you can never go back IMO. Its the age old Apple vs Android (not trolling or Apple bashing) - you can have complete freedom but that naturally brings with it a more complicated phone OR you can have a nice easy phone with a basic UI but you lose the ability to customise a lot of stuff.

Stick with it, it's worth it - one day it'll click and you will wonder how you ever coped without one.

9. fried

fried Well-Known Member

Whether you're male or female has nothing to do with it, lol. I know you're only joking, but the phone is harder to use compared to many other phones, mainly because it's so feature rich. It's the first phone where I've had to read the manual and read forums like this for tips and advice, and I'm usually pretty tech savvy. Unless the hardware is faulty, there's usually always a solution to your problem, but you have to describe it in depth so people can help.

10. Racheluk

folder organizer lite

11. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Selling the phone because you haven't been able to change the mail icon does seem a little extreme!

I've successfully changed mine using folder organizer.

12. Racheluk

ok

13. Rojhan

Rojhan Member

Easier than Desire? I dont think you can get a smartphone easier than Desire.

14. Eris Ed

:D not an issue really lol! I got my phone 6 weeks ago and knew nothing about how things work and how things are done. Trial and error and lots of reading/discussing on these forums sorted me out. Most things only need sorting once, then there's no more changes needed.

15. Eris Ed

nacatomi is correct. The default mail app has several icons - one is the 'basic' icon that you changed, and the others appear when you have a message and show the number of unread messages.

The way I sorted this is to use a different (and better!) app. I use ChompSMS for texting and K-9 Mail for email. I changed the icons using FolderOrganiser and the icon never changes when I get a new message.

Racheluk likes this.
  16. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

It can be as easy or as complicated as you like. Thats the beauty of the phone, if you are happy how it is then yeah its easy. If not then you can get apps\customisations to suit and possibly a little more complicated. Its a learning curve.... its not a PC and its not an iPhone and as soon as people realise this then it all gets easier to understand all the ins and outs of Android.

17. Eris Ed

To be honest, the iPhone is an easier phone to use IF you don't want to tinker or customize your handset. Android is better for me because I want to change things however/whenever I want, but doing so involves learning how the system 'works' to a much greater degree than the iPhone requires.