Should I switch from Curve to Droid?

Last Updated:

1. mdevine

mdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The droid looks like a great fun device, but I use my mobile device to help me be productive in a sales position. I have some issues keeping me from pulling trigger on a droid. I use mobile device mainly for work related tasks (phone, email, calendar, etc).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has moved from BB to Droid and has other things they miss (besides BBM) please respond.

- Lack of email search for exchange email. Almost an instant deal breaker. Is this in the works to be fixed?

- Ability to operate with one hand (phone, email, etc). Very easy to dial a contact from BB home screen simply by typing their name.

- Speed of typing. I send emails from my BB even when sitting in front of computer. The BB is very easy to use and type on.

- Look up internal users on BES. Great for getting contact info of person at company that I don't have in my address book.

Advertisement
  2. odub

odub Member

or do you have to rely on BIS for email? If the former, then don't switch. If the latter, then yes I'd probably switch.

I moved from a Curve 8320 on Tmo using BIS because I had no calendar/contact sync OTA. The curve is a better phone, has better battery life, is better at email, better at one-handed use, and is less distracting for what you want the phone to do (sales productivity). the Android has advantages, but none that seem relevant to your use profile. FYI, I like the Droid but would probably switch back to BB if my employer had BES. My only good options are the Droid and HTC TP2 (WinMO), since I want to avoid ATT and Sprint. Still considering swapping the Droid for the Touch Pro 2.

3. mdevine

mdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes to BES. Thanks for your thoughts.

4. dr.worm

dr.worm Member

i actually just switched over from a BB curve to the Droid. teh droid is a much cooler phone, no questions about it, but for pure business use, i'd prolly side with the curve. BB is made specifically for business purposes. and off the top of my head, there are a few things i miss, one of them being the email issue that you brought up. overall i love the droid, but the phone feature could be better IMO. plus, like you said, with the BB you could just begin typing the name then hit call. with the droid, you have to open up the phone "feature" and either scroll through the list, OR, you can hit the little search key after you've opened the phone function and begin typing the name. at that point its just like the BB but you have to do a few steps first. no big deal for me or most users but for someone like you it may be an annoying step. Droid is cool but not a business tool like a BB is. just my thoughts. but my curve was so beat up and shitty i couldn't use it anymore. mine had TONS of problems

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

As the others have said, I'd say that based on your needs, you should stick with Blackberry. The Droid has some business related capabilities, but they are in no way on par with the mature system that Blackberry has going. For everything else, the Droid is infinitely superior to all of the Blackberry devices I have ever used, and since I don't use my phone for business, I'm incredibly satisfied. If I did have a device strictly for business use, though, I'd have to say BB is still the one.