• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

should i switch from the iphone 4???

Well, for starters, why did you put your iPhone up on CL? Is there something about it that you don't like? What are you hoping to gain from an Android that the iPhone does not give you?

How much did you pay for the iPhone?

My wife has an iPhone 4 and I have a DroidX. They're both great phones and for the most part it comes down to which operating system you prefer.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I like the iPhone 4. It has a beautiful screen/display and smooooth operating system. If jailbroken you can get nice themes on it.

It's really a matter of taste. I happen to love my DX, as do a lot of folks here. When it comes down to it, it's just a smarphone. Now, having said that, I know we're all smartphone enthusiasts and get emotional about the our toys, but in the end, it's just a thing and people are more important than things.

I say, try it out and if you like it, buy it. Your tastes, desires and expectations are the bottom line, here.

Also, I want to say to my fellow DX'rs: This is indeed a thread that can personal and out of hand. I'm thinking that if we get harsh or wiseguy answers, the mods will close it and perhaps hand out warnings. :)

Reactions: ChiefHopper
Upvote 0
I paid 200 dollars for it when it was up for pre order on vzw website. I have had a droid based phone before the iphone. I like the way the notifications on the droid system works. Also i put it on cl to see what kind of offers i can get. The iphone to me after i look at reviews of droid devices, that it still hasn't done anything with the home screen, but be able to add wallpapers. i like the whole widget thing on the droid. Also like how the files are separate on the droid devices. i have used ssh on the iphone but the whole thing with the droids and using rooted ones adds a nice effect to the phone itself. one thing i really like on the iphone though i must say is the gaming on it is very nice. soooo im still on the fence like others stated each phone has its own pros and cons.

Upvote 0
yeah , the iphone has a better resolution for the screen size , but it's like going to Walmart and seeing a 40 inch 1080p LED tv for 2k and right next to it is a 60 inch 720p LED tv for 1k..of course you're going to take the bigger screen for cheaper just to sacrifice a little resolution in the end. iphones are cute i must say though.

Upvote 0
both phones are great.

if gaming is a big issue for you, you may want to keep the iphone. however, more and more good games are coming out for android. Open Fient is dumping a TON of money into getting iphone game developers to port their games to android, so i would assume the gaming will be similar in the next year.

the iphone just works, it is fast, and smooth, and pretty,its small, sturdy and has a great camera, however the app organization, lack of widgets, and lack of customization really kills it IMO.

the DX has a great screen as well, i really dont feel any envy towards the iphone 4 screen...it is just SMALL. the DX is fast, powerful, has an OK camera, great build quality, very customizable, widgets, great notification system ect. however it comes with its drawbacks, after coming from an iphone, you may see the size as a drawback. it is BIG, but still pretty light and thin and pocketable. it does get some hickups once in a while and some have problems with random reboot problems. but for the most part, it does everything i could ask for, and more.

i love the iphone 4, probably would get one for my wife if she was at all interested in a smartphone. they both are really great phones, with their "plusses" and "minuses" you just have to know what you want out of your phone and one will fit the bill better than the other.

Upvote 0
With all the dual core phones with LTE coming out I would not trade for a DX. I have loved my DX, but after getting the Xoom with the dual core tegra 2 in it, I can't wait to get a phone of this speed. Then add LTE and there is no comparison at all. Dual core + LTE is probably the biggest leap in speed phones have ever seen. I would wait for one of those to trade in the Iphone 4.

Upvote 0
With all the dual core phones with LTE coming out I would not trade for a DX. I have loved my DX, but after getting the Xoom with the dual core tegra 2 in it, I can't wait to get a phone of this speed. Then add LTE and there is no comparison at all. Dual core + LTE is probably the biggest leap in speed phones have ever seen. I would wait for one of those to trade in the Iphone 4.

How much speed do you need on a phone unless it's for gaming?

I'm not being smart, I'd really like to know.
What is it you're looking for the phone to do with dual core that it doesn't do now?

Upvote 0
My droid X takes about 10 seconds for the camera to load up when I want to take a picture. After the picture is taken, it then takes another 10 seconds for it to display in the gallery. The xoom is almost instant. Just going into the gallery to show my pictures takes a long time for the pictures to load before I can select anything on my DX. I have had 3 different DX's and I erase my phone about every other month to start from scratch. It's always the same. My wife also has had 2 different DX's and hers does the same thing. Taking pictures and viewing pictures is painfully slow. The xoom is UNBELIEVABLY FAST. I missed so many shots because of how long it takes my phone to load up the camera. And like I said, its the same on all 5 DX's that I have used. Other than that, the DX does seem fast until you mess around with a dual core device. Then everything seems to slow down. Not to mention the fact that as computers/phones become more powerful, the apps that are written become more demanding. If you want a phone that will run all the apps that will be made in the near future, your going to need a faster phone. When the latest and greatest comes out, I always hear people say. There's no need for anything faster! My reply is "maybe not now". People said that when the first Iphone came out. And it was said when the G1 came out. Those devices hardly work now and will be completely obsolete in 2 years. Im not trying to make ANY phone look bad here. I'm just saying that no matter what phone you buy, it will eventually be too slow. With that said, my advice is to buy the fastest you can buy hoping that it will last just a little bit longer than the slower phone option. Unfortunately, no matter what phone you wait for, it will become obsolete some day.

Upvote 0
I was just visiting with neighbors who both had the new Verizon iPhones. I got to play with one of their phones briefly. I quickly realized I made the right choice choosing my DroidX. That tiny screen was just awful and the home screen was just boring. I don't see the big deal about a retina display. Theirs looked no better than my outdated iPod Touch. I just developed a new appreciation for my X.

Upvote 0
I think it really boils down to whether or not you like/want widgets and live backgrounds. Openness and accessibility of the devs aside, the two phones do most of the same things except widgets and live wallpapers (which really are based on the same thing). Android allows for true multitasking and that allows widgets to download data in the background while the phone is sleeping, playing games, etc. This uses a lot of data, but just get the unlimited plan now before it goes away. To me, the experience on the iPhone is too static. I LOVE my widgets!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones