Should i Switch To A Motorola DroidGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Joe294

Joe294 Member This Topic's Starter

i was so excited to get the htc incredible on Thursday and when my hands fell on it i thought it was a dream come true but as the last 2 days came by ive found 3 things i dont like that can be deal breakers for me

1.I dont like the touch screen keyboard i suck at it use to have it on my ipod which was easy to use but on this its not as good also i cant use shapewriter or anything like that for some reason

2.The batter life sucks at full charge it only last a day with slightly heavy use

3.This by far is the biggest one for me i HATE htc sense i thought you were able to turn it off like on the htc desire but when i tried it did'nt do anything

These three things might make me switch to a Motorola droid if anyone has solutions for the three problems please post thanks:)

Advertisement
  2. DPDAndroid

DPDAndroid Well-Known Member

1. Keyboard, is what it is!

2. If your getting a full day out of the battery with "slightly heavy" use, you are ahead of the game. The DI is a mini computer, the battery is quit good IMHO.

3. HTC Sense, it is what it is!

3. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

1. You can get other on screen keyboards that you might find better. Also comes with speech to text which works quite well. A lot of people complain abut the keyboard on the droid so i would use it before buying.
    2. Battery life is not that bad i seem to be getting same amount i had with my droid with about same amount of use.
    3. If you hate sense that much dont get it untill someone roots it and can take it off. Or just get a home replacement like gde or home++

4. To0l

To0l Active Member

This helps a ton just give it a few days to get used to it

1. Swype d/l link

5. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

I actually think the HTC keyboard is much better than the ipod touch. I've never been able to type on touchscreen keyboards at all in portrait mode and I've always used landscape. However, that was until I downloaded and installed swype. Best app ever! I can easily type...er...swype out stuff in portrait mode with great accuracy and faster than I type in landscape mode. Did I say best app ever? Best app ever.

You're not going to do better with the droid under heavy use, slightly or otherwise. Wait for the 2150mAh battery. I think it'll give you what you want and it probably won't make the phone noticeably heavier or thicker.

Root the phone if you don't like Sense. I think it's pretty nice.

6. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

yes...moto sounds like it was built just for you....but don't expect more than a day on your moto battery either lol

7. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

8. CatsTide

download it to your pc...unzip it...put the apk on your sd and launch it

or if you don't have an sd(really an easier method) is to download "tAttachApkInstaller" from the market,email the apk to yourself and launch it from there

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  9. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

It's weird but it's not zipped. It's an .apk extension. Do I just put it directly on my sd card at that point?

10. pztrick

pztrick Active Member

to clarify, search for a program called appInstaller on the market that will scan your SD card / phone space for any .apk files that it can install.

11. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You'll need astro file manager to install it. Just put the apk file on your sd card and then open up astro, then navigate to the file and click it. It will take you to a screen that will have an install button, click it. Once installed you'll need to goto settings>languanges & keyboard>enable swpye. Then open up your browser and long press the input field box, it'll bring up a screen asking you for input method. Choose swype and then from that point on it'll automatically come up on the screens that require input.

12. CatsTide

yes.....

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend astro file manager as you can do other things with it. Such as uninstall apps, delete files, browse the file system, etc. Its quite a handy and useful tool and is ad free and still free to use.

14. CatsTide

lord lord lord just download "tAttachApkInstaller" from the market,email the apk to yourself and launch it from there

15. Sodequis

Sodequis Well-Known Member

you have to go into 'language and keyboard' under settings to turn it on after installing swype. And swype is amazing... I know i'm not getting anywhere close on some of these words and it's still coming through on em hehe

16. To0l

To0l Active Member

Posted by NKT

Here's how you setup Swype to be your default keyboard:

After installing the Swype .apk got to Menu -> Settings -> Language & Keyboard. Check Swype.

Now open a new text message. Press and hold the text input box. A window will pop up and select Input Method. Choose Swype.

17. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

I just clicked the link from my phones browser and downloaded

18. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

1. If you don't like touch screen keyboards or shapewriter then you won't care for swype either. I do recommend trying out the Droid's keyboard first though because it takes some time getting used to especially if you have fat fingers.

2. You'll get a few hours more battery life out of the Droid but your still gonna need to charge it every night most likely.

3. If you hate Sense then your definitely gonna want the Droid or something with vanilla Android.

19. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

if you want something like the droid wait for the ally it should be just like a droid but a better lookin keyboard

20. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the link to the green swype? i cant remember where to find it?