should I take my Eris to Europe?General

Last Updated:

1. nolalou

nolalou Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to Europe for 2 weeks in May. I'm debating rather or not to bring my Eris.

I know I won't be able to use it for phone calles, and I assume I can only get internet access via WiFi (not 3G). On the other hand, when I do have access to WiFi, I can text or email as well as check the web.

To bad Sype dosn't work from Europe, or so I understand.

The other option I suppose is to see if I can buy a chapie cell phone in Europe, if such a thing exists.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
    dirtmouth likes this.
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I have a Swiss friend that said he used his Eris with Skype while over there? You wouldnt be able to txt though, well if you have GV you could...Guess its up to you, I'd take mine just cause I have a shload of music and games in case I got bored.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Wifi should work with no problem anywhere in the world. Although most everything else will not.

I know that you can pick up phones over there for very cheap, like 1 Euro iPhones, but the contracts are rather expensive and last for quite a while. They offer pre-paid plans over there just like they do here though. I know that for Germany all incoming calls would be free and you would only pay for outgoing. I can't speak for the rest of Europe though. I will try and IM one of my girlfriend's brothers and see how it is in Italy.

You could pick up a cheap Quad band GSM phone here and use it over there with a pre-paid account. It would have to be unlocked of course. DO NOT try and get anything with a data plan over there as they are extremely expensive and very restrictive from what I understand.

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

If you're not planning to make too many phone calls, just call Verizon and ask for their Global Travel Program. For a flat $9.99 fee, they'll mail you a GSM-and-CDMA phone, and you can activate it on your Verizon phone number right before you leave. You'll be charged about $1.29/minute for calls and $.50 for texts while you're outside the U.S., but it's great for emergencies and staying in touch because it has your real phone number.

Also bring your Eris, and download Fring so that you can use Skype with WiFi. My wife and I were in Paris in October, and we brought one Global Travel Program phone and one iPod Touch. (If we'd had the Eris, we'd have brought that instead of the iPod Touch.)

nolalou likes this.
  5. nolalou

Thanks for the tips. I admit I'm a newbie when it comes to Skype. Do I need to pay for the app from Skype for the Eris? (I see there is a 'buy it now' link on thier site). Once I do that, what does the Fring software do?

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The Skype app (which is free in the market) does not work over WiFi, unfortunately, but Fring is an app that allows you access your Skype account over WiFi if you wish. So, you can do Skype calling over WiFi in Europe, as you will not be able to get a signal anywhere that will roam to the Verizon network.

7. qbot

qbot Member

I am leaving for Mexico in a couple days and was planning on bringing my Eris. I have heard the nightmare stories of people coming home to discover thousands of dollars in charges because of the automatic updating when the phone uses the network.

How do I avoid this? Is it enough to go into settings>wireless & networks and uncheck mobile network and activate the wifi?

8. qbot

qbot Member

Anyone?

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, there is settings->Wireless controls->Mobile network settings and turn off data roaming. But I'd think that turning off the mobile network would do that just as well.

10. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

this brings up a good point - i'm going to canada in a bit for a roadtrip and am planning to take my eris with me. the guy at the vzw store said that i can take my phone to canada, and switch to a nationwide+canada plan for the week or so i'm there, which would let me use my phone, with the unlimited data/text i already have, so i can use googl navi. but what i can't trust a vzw rep on is extra fees/charges (its like trusting a used car salesman when he says the car's in perfect shape...you KNOW he's full of it). anyone got any experience with this situation and wanna advise? i'm going to quebec city, montreal, thousand islands, and the niagara area, if it matters.

11. Droidcula

Droidcula Well-Known Member

It's not just a phone...it's a camera and camcorder also. The apps should still work, so games and other time kill things would still be available. Maybe put some reading material on there before you leave. Places to go...things to see type of stuff. Probably worth taking it just for that. It's also a MP3 player...

12. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member

I never knew you couldn't get service in another continent. Why is that? Im guessing cause theres no verizon? But doesn't vodafone own verizon?

13. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA technology while almost the entire rest of the planet is GSM. Phones like the BlackBerry Storm 1 and 2 have dual capabilities that allow them to work on CDMA and they also have SIM cards for GSM so they can be used anywhere.

14. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

In europe we have this thing called pay as you go, dont you have it in america?

Basically you can just buy a cheap phone max

15. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

really glad i stumbled accross this thread as i would have went to mehico and came back with one hella bill. thx for the eye opener.....

16. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

Not all of the rest of the planet: CLICK

--Mark

17. nolalou

So it sounds like if I take my Eris, and just use it for apps that don't need to connect via 3g, or only use it when it a WiFi 'hot spot' I should be ok, and I might be able to make phone calls when I have WiFi access if I install Skype and Firing. I don't think I want to use it as my MP3 player since it seems to run the battery down pretty quick. I have a Sansa mp3 player that holds a charge for something like 18 hours.

I assume wifi use doesn't count against my Verizon 'data plan', so I shouldn't see a huge bill when I get back. Is that right?

18. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

In the market there is a free "app" called one click widgets that lets has an airplane mode widget that lets you turn off the radios but leave WiFi on. I'd suggest using that, as not using airplane mode should have your phone search for a signal periodically that it will not find.

The only bill you might have is from the WiFi provider, if they charge for it. You will not get a bill from Verizon for it, though. WiFi is not Verizon data.

19. nolalou

My Eris came with a settings app to put the phone in Airpane mode. Is that not good enough? Maybe earlier versions of the phone didn't include this app? (or does the included app not allow for wifi?)

20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Right, setting airplane mode on the phone natively also turns off WiFi (which is true Airplane mode, really.) You can still use that one on the plane, but the widget lets you keep it networking with WiFi with the cellular radio turned off.

21. Kutanks

Kutanks Well-Known Member

Why not? Id bring mine as its my mp3 player/ camera (im cheap like that I might sell my iPod touch and use my employee discount at Best Buy to get a good camera).

22. Spikelangelo

Spikelangelo Member

I was just in Germany the last 2 weeks and I took my Eris. I used it everyday. The games made the train/bus rides short. I used the camera more than my real camera (as long as the lighting is good it takes nice pictures). I took about 500 pics with ~450 of those with the Eris. I used the GPS to find my way around, I used Copilot for that with preloaded maps. I planned on using wifi where ever I found it so I could upload pics to flickr for my friends and family to keep up with me. Unfortunately, Northern Germany had 0 free hotspots anywhere I went. The places that did have wifi available like the airport and train stations had to be paid for. Luckily though, I had brought a short 8" mini USB cable that I could fit into my pocket and just plug my phone into any internet PC/Terminal. I will note that I did not stay at any hotels so I can't say that they wouldn't provide free wifi if you are a guest. I definitely suggest it's a good item for overseas trips.

On a side note, I impressed many people with the Eris. "Oh, that phone's so cool!", "I never saw a phone like that!", "I want one!". It made my head real big :D

23. AirPirate

AirPirate Active Member

I agree with the others. I just returned from a Middle East country with both GSM and CDMA. I used Skype on my laptop to video chat with home and the Eris to surf the web and play games and take pics. I did not connect with the local cell network, and I did not have any data charges from Verizon.