• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I upgrade to the Cricket LG Optimus C?

The LG Optimus C launched on Cricket on Thursday. Should I upgrade from my Huawei Ascend to the LG Optimus C? Or should I just wait until the next phone releases?

From what I've read, I wouldn't. For one thing, it has a smaller screen, 3.2" vs 3.5". About the only advantage would be that it runs 2.2 but, other than that, there is no real advantage.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Smaller screen, Slightly heavier than the Ascend from what I've read (I know my M is), It's only good qualities are that it's got a slightly faster speed and I believe it's got MT. Besides that, I'd really just wait. I honestly think 2.2 isn't a big deal. I'd like to see a prepaid release a 2.3. They are expecting some good phones here soon from what my Metro guy said. If Metro is getting better phones, I'd bet Cricket is right along those lines too.

Upvote 0
I would try to find someone that has an Optimus for you to try out. I used my friends (teaching her how to use her phone) and I like the Ascend better. No trackball and no end call button are 2 major points for me. And I'm running Icarus so there wasn't much of a speed difference to me. It really is about personal preference. You are going to get responses from both sides. But try it out before you buy it.

Reactions: septembersrain
Upvote 0
Definitely lighter (I have both by my side), much much faster, 4 times the RAM, it actually has a GPU!, this phone, honestly... rapes the Ascend, no questions asked. You should really handle one before you give out false info. Also, the screen is much more responsive, I have not screwed up a single text LOL!
I was not giving out false information, If that post was directed at me. I was stating this based on my M. Please re-read my post. Nothing I stated was based on fact besides the fact that it has 2.2 and will have 2.3 and also has MT. Now this is based on the M and the Ascend for METRO.

Optimus
Smart Phone:
Yes
Android (2.2)
Processor:
Processor speed:
600 MHz
Memory:
512 MB RAM / 512 MB ROM *More MB ram than Ascend.
Weight: 5.39 oz (153 g) *Weighs more than Ascend
Huawei Ascend

Smart Phone:
Yes
Android (2.1)
Processor:
Processor speed:
600 MHz
Memory:
256 MB RAM / 512 MB ROM
Weight: 4.76 oz (135 g)

The Optimus can hold up to a 32GB SD card, As compared with the Ascends 16GB.
Battery is slightly better with the Optimus but, Then again I believe it's really based on the user and the usage.
Optimus has better camera, Also lucky with 3.5 mm jack instead of Ascends 2.5 mm jack.
Only reason I truly favor my Ascend is for the simple fact of how easy it was to install a rom on it and the fact that it still has simple features I really like. Hang up/call button, and trackball are what sold me on it.

Honestly, There is going to be better phones coming out left and right. I just don't see the Optimus and the Ascend as being THAT different. Not enough for me to waste my money to "Trade Up" just yet.

Upvote 0
September, is it true that the optimus takes a lot longer to charge than the ascend? Because the ascend seems to charge really fast to me.

It takes about 30 min more for the Optimus. This is because the Optimus tends to hold a charge longer (If both phones are stock, no other apps). Underclocked on same settings though, Ascend lasts longer. When I first got both phones (Stock, all the way) the Ascend would die first. Then again my Optimus is just rooted. My Ascend has a rom. Makes a big difference I think. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones