• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I upgrade to this phone?

jakob95

Nov 16, 2010
I currently have the Droid Incredible the original one. Well I am able to replace the phone for an Incredible 2 for free as a replacement phone without having any affect to my 2 year contract. But I had some questions before doing it. Is the Droid Incredible 2 much better then the first one?

These are some of the questions I have.

Is the camera better on the Incredible 2 then the first one? And how is the shutter speed compared to the first one?

Is that new 1GHz processor much better then the one that the original Incredible had?

I read from a review that this phone is very laggy when you web browse when flash is enabled is this true? On my Incredible its not laggy at all when flash is enabled and is on the page, or at least I don't think it is laggy.

Does this phone have any bugs or problems that I will experience that I didn't on the Incredible. I barely had any problems on my Incredible only reason I am switching is because of the new problems I got with the 2.3.4 update.

Is it a much bigger phone? And the screen on this phone does it get scratched easily?

the new 1GHz processor is just amazing makes the phone very snappy,
it also has S-LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
Gorilla Glass display scratch resistance
8 MP camera, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED flash Standard battery, Li-Ion 1450 mAh
Stand-by Up to 361 h
Talk time Up to 6 h 30 min

im not sure about bugs on the stock rom since im running (cyanogen 7)

Reactions: grvthang
Upvote 0
Can you guys answer my questions?

I didn't own the Inc 1 so can't comment on the questions that involve a direct comparison. Regarding the screen scratching easily, I would say no but I use a screen protector. Regarding bugs you will have to state which ones you experienced on the Inc 1 before anyone can say if they also exist on the Inc 2. I've had the Inc 2 since April and I have not experienced anything I consider a "bug", which I would define as a reproducible problem. Occasional glitches are usually sorted out by rebooting. I reboot it about once every two weeks. I've never needed to do a "factory reset". Some people complain about the stock battery life, but with the help of Juice Defender I usually have approx 60% left at the end of the day. I've been very happy with the Inc 2 and would highly recommend it. Handsets vary though so just be prepared to exchange it if you get one with issues.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded from the Incredible 1 to the 2 yesterday so I haven't gotten super inolved with a lot of it. One thing I hated about the 1 is the camera shots in low light. Yesterday I took a picture in complete darkness and the flash looks amazing compared to the ones my incredible 1 would take. The phone is slightly bigger (which I don't like) but nothing like the Evo or Droid X.

Upvote 0
Key Differences

Network
First and foremost, just like the Droid 2 Global Edition, the new Incredible 2 is a world phone with both CDMA and GSM frequencies.

Screen
The Dinc 2 sports a 4" SLCD screen compared to Dinc's 3.7" AMOLED (although it was later switched to SLCD as well due to AMOLED shortages). The resolution remained the same at 480x800 pixels.

Cameras, Trackpad

The Dinc 2 has a front-facing 1.3MP camera, which the original Dinc didn't have, but as a trade-off, it lost the optical trackpad (or "nipple" as some might call it) that so many users grew to love so much. It kind of bugs me that manufacturers insist on omitting it and then end up including a whole row of arrow keys on the keyboard, wasting valuable screen real estate, but I guess aesthetics and a simpler manufacturing process are more important to them.

Memory

To help keep more applications in memory at the same time, the 2nd Dinc includes 768MB of RAM, compared to the 1st one's 512MB.

Processor

On the CPU side, don't let the same 1GHz clock speed fool you - instead of the 1st generation Snapdragon QSD8650 processor that used the 65nm technology, we now have the 2nd generation MSM8655 built using the more efficient 45nm technology. This should translate into better performance and [marginally] better battery life.

UI, Sense

Moving on to the UI, the Droid Incredible 2 ships with the 2nd version of HTC's Sense UI (2.1 to be exact), compared to the 1st generation Sense on the 1st Incredible. While this is no Sense 3.0, which the upcoming EVO 3D and Sensation devices are going to sport, Sense 2.1 is a nice upgrade over the original (see here and here for info on the 2nd generation of Sense).

Battery

Next up, we have a slightly beefier battery on the Dinc 2 - 1450 mAh vs the original Dinc's 1300 mAh. This should translate into a little bit more usage, but it's really nothing to write home about.

Wi-Fi

On the networking side, the Dinc2 supports 802.11b/g/n, while the original only officially supported b and g at launch (the chip on the device was capable of supporting 802.11n, but for some reason it wasn't enabled until Froyo).

Conclusion

The Droid Incredible 2 offers a host of both noticeable and subtle upgrades to the original Incredible. With a beautiful larger screen, a front-facing camera, improved capacity and speed, and an updated UI, the Droid Incredible 2 is one of the best world phones available on the market today.

Reactions: lddrew
Upvote 0
The phone has Sense 2.1
Oh I heard it had Sense 2.0 only. Does it have HTC Hub?

Also when I get the phone will I be able to root I heard you can only root on 2.3.3. If my phone will be on 2.3.3 and I root will I still keep getting OTA messages on my phone to update to 2.3.4? Another thing what are the key differences with 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 on the Incredible 2?

Upvote 0
I just got the Inc 2 for the exact same reason you are considering getting one - the 2.3.4 update hosed my Inc. Overall I really like the phone. I thinkt he camera quality is about the same, but the shutter speed seems much, much faster and that makes me really happy. I love the bigger screen, even though I was worried about that because I loved the size of my Inc. I don't notice too much lag - probably about the same as my Inc.

Upvote 0
Oh I heard it had Sense 2.0 only. Does it have HTC Hub?

Also when I get the phone will I be able to root I heard you can only root on 2.3.3. If my phone will be on 2.3.3 and I root will I still keep getting OTA messages on my phone to update to 2.3.4? Another thing what are the key differences with 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 on the Incredible 2?

I'm not sure what HTC Hub us so I cannot answer that.

Yes, root is only available for 2.3.3. If you root some are saying they still get OTA notifications. There is a thread somewhere with a "how to" to stop this.

Differences between 2.3.3 and 2.3.4? None that I'm noticing.

Also, all the questions you are asking can be answered with searches in this forum and Android Central. They've been discussed many times.

Upvote 0
I used to use the Inc1, and the battery life of the Inc2 is way better than the original. It lasts almost twice as long even in stock form.

Inc2 is definitely faster, the increase ram and new processor really helps.

The larger screen helps a lot with typing.

When rooted, I think the Inc2 could be the best phone currently available on Verizon. It can easily be overclocked to 1.6GHz and be stable. The battery life is further improved with custom kernels. It has the best balance of speed and battery life.

Other verizon phones are faster, but their battery life will suck. The Inc2 is more than fast enough, and has battery life on par with the iphone 4 (when rooted).

Upvote 0
I'm brand new to smart phones (4 months). I had an original Motorola Droid that just up and died. I was due for an upgrade, so I got the Dinc2 for $119. I've only had it since Thursday and already, I don't like it.

I'm not able to update the software, it always says "Download failed."

On my old one, I got local weather with no problem. Whatever locator this one uses doesn't know where I am.

The GPS icon on the top of the screen is always on, even if GPS is off.

The cell signal is terrible. My wife has a plain old flip phone. When she has 3 or 4 bars, I have none or 1.

I think I'm gonna send it back and get something else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones