• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I wait for Ice Cream Sandwich?

CodeM0nkey

Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys, I only signed up to the forum to ask this one question:

Should I wait for Android Ice Cream Sandwich before purchasing a new phone?

I've never owned an Android phone before, so when I get one, I want it to be as awesome as possible. I've read the new features for version 4, and they seem minor but significant. Are there any news on the actual release date (hopefully before Christmas)? Do you Android-owners think that the update will be worth the wait? (Edit) Also, do you guys think that current 2.3 phones (HTC Sensation, for instance) will receive an update to 4.0?

First of all CodeM0nkey, Welcome. I was so excited about switching to Android that I was on Android forums before even getting my new phone. Anyway, Ice Cream Sandwich(ICS) is definitely worth the wait. It is set to be released in Europe first on Nov. 17.

Word has it that it will be introduced only on the Galaxy Nexus S. It has a totally different UI and also the ability to deactivate preinstalled apps which is currently an option only with rooted Android devices. Check out the link below for more info.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: First look - GSMArena.com

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
my opinion - dont wait for it. Get whatever you like at the moment because if you have that mentality of "what for the next best thing", you'll be waiting forever. 2 months after you get ICS, something else will be announced that you wish you waited for.

just my .02

That may be the case most of the time, but right now is a bit different. New software + phones coming out in the near future that warrant a wait. MY $.02.

Upvote 0
motorola just announced that ics will be coming to the razr, bionic and xoom shortly after the google public release. I'm sure samsung and htc will also be releasing it as well (speculation?) but with that said, I'm not really sure it's worth waiting, since if you buy one of those phones now, you will get the upgrade pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
So, do you know the current 2.2 would be able to upgrade to ICS? (such as ZTE Blade)

I doubt so since the ZTE Blade has limited internal memory. If the Nexus one could not update to ICS due to the internal space issue, then any Android phone which has low internal memory space would not be able to update it unless you partition the SD card or flash it with a ICS-based custom rom. Correct me if I am wrong. :p

Upvote 0
I would not count on Samsung upgrading anytime soon. I have the Epic 4g, and have been waiting for the announced upgrade from froyo to gingerbread since March. Samsung is crap when it comes to upgrading its phones, so my advice is don't buy one unless you are comfortable with rooting your phone, or you are happy with the system that is already loaded on your phone.

Upvote 0
I should to say Android Ice Cream Sandwich is really so awesome when I read this article. And I am sure I need to wait for it. The source of Android 4.0 will release in Nov. 17th.

from that link i'm most excited about this:
"2. Use the virtual buttons in the UI instead of physical buttons to enlarge the display area."

i don't like multiple physical buttons on the face of phones so for me i'm deciding to wait on a device that is made with the functionality of ICS in mind. the lack of buttons will allow for a bigger screen without a bigger physical device.

Upvote 0
I would not count on Samsung upgrading anytime soon. I have the Epic 4g, and have been waiting for the announced upgrade from froyo to gingerbread since March. Samsung is crap when it comes to upgrading its phones, so my advice is don't buy one unless you are comfortable with rooting your phone, or you are happy with the system that is already loaded on your phone.

This drives me crazy wheneve I see this. Correct me if I'm wrong but Samsung updated it's Galaxy S's overseas pretty damn early. Isn't the reason that the Epic 4G and other variations haven't been upgraded is because they have been modified by the Carriers? (Sprint in your case.)

So Samsungs most popular line (The Galaxy S series) that haven't been modified, have been fairly consistent with the updates. It's the ones here that have been tweaked till they barely resemble the original phones that got left hanging in the wind.

So Samsung has this bad reputation for something that's not their fault. If the American carriers weren't so eager to have their hands in every phone they release, most people wouldn't have the problems that they have with upgrading their phones.

Or look at how long it took for the Galaxy S2 to come out in the states, not because of Samsung, but because each Carrier had to negotiate their own thing to differentiate from their competitors.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
there are new phones and software coming out every few months. Just because ICS was announced doesnt make this any different.

Normally that's true, but I think that with ICS coming out soon, you're better off waiting until phones come out that are designed to take advantage of ICS from the start and not ones that are upgradeable to ICS later.

To me there is no point in signing a new contract for something like a Galaxy S2 or a HTC Rezound when 2 months after you buy the phone, the ICS upgrade will render the Capacitive buttons useless for the rest of your contract (Around 20 months.)

Upvote 0
In a way it is true but it at least standardized on the Calendar API, make most of current popular Home Launcher, Screen Lock etc features official. I would say the aesthetics department has been spruced up and API make official. This may appeal to another group of Android users who like eye-candy effect like iPhone used to have.

Lastly it converge the smart-phone and tablet API as one family again so an Android app developed once can be used on both devices.

I wouldn't wait for ics. Most top of the line phones that are being released right now will be upgraded to ics. ICS doesn't offer any ground breaking features anyway.

Upvote 0
Although all the phones with Gingerbread 2.3 will eventually be updated to ICS, it is going to take a long while. My guess is the second half of 2012 to be the earliest, based on the track record of the previous updates. So unless you don't mind to wait for another 6 months or so, you don't have to get an ICS phone. But I am seriously considering to "retire" my Fascinate and get the Galaxy Nexus for all the latest and greatest technologies. :)

By the way, the Galaxy Nexus is just around the corner.

Upvote 0
What ever happened to Honeycomb(3.0?) I read articles about it earlier this year but never heard what happened to it. Did they just decide to jump it and go straight to ICS?

Honeycome is for tablets only. You won't or shouldn't see any phones running Honeycomb. Phones will have Gingerbread and then will jump to ICS. ICS is both for tablets and phones, so you should see both tablets and phones with ICS soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones