Should we not update when the 802.11N launches?

Last Updated:

1. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Reading all these blogs about the FCC approving the software update to run on 802.11N and the internet browsing picture bug update being released sometime soon, should we not update if we haven't achieved root yet?

Or even if you already have achieved root would this cancel it out?

I don't want to update the software if this update could also close the only loophole known for root.

I know it hasn't been released yet and we don't have a time frame yet but I'm just curious as it could be happening in the near future.

Advertisement
  2. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

AFAIK the update will be released with 2.2. So basically if you are already rooted, then I would wait until A. the nand unlock is released and then B. someone creates a clean Froyo build for our phone

Correct me if I am wrong

3. civicsisedan

I think that is hasn't been confirmed it will release with froyo.

It's only been speculated as it would make sense. However, it looks confirmed for the 802.11N and internet bug to be in the same software update.

I hope it releases with froyo as that's all I really wanted out of root, besides wifi-tether.

I've been trying for root forever. Waiting on simpler method now. Just hoping that comes out before the software update.

4. JasonCz

JasonCz Active Member

5. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

What's the internet bug that it fixes?? Do we have any idea if it will enable full BT support since it's a networking patch?

6. civicsisedan

The one that is taking screenshots of visited internet pages and not beign deleted with hard reset...

7. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Can this be undone?

8. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure how 802.11n actually benefits me in this case. I submit that most of you use WiFi for one thing... Internet browsing. Your Internet speed can only be as fast as the slowest component... as an example, I have an 802.11g Linksys WiFi router here at home, which has a maximum speed (arguably) of 54Mbps. My ISP connection from Time Warner is generally between 20 and 25Mbps. Therefore, the fastest possible speed I can achieve for my Internet connection through WiFi in my house is 25Mbps. Even if I was to get an 802.11n router and all my devices were 802.11n compatible, my maximum speed for an internet connection would still be 25Mbps, because that's all I get from Time Warner.

Now, if you're using your Inc to connect to other devices on your home network, that's another story. For your Internet connection, it's not going to make much difference though, unless you have a seriously fast (>50Mbps) ISP connection.

9. JasonCz

JasonCz Active Member

Wireless N also offers extended range. For me the speed doesn't matter, the range does.

10. fliptwister

fliptwister Well-Known Member

802.11n also gives you about double the range of g. I can be on wireless in the tree fort with n :)

edit: oops, Jason beat me to answer. g has range of 125 ft indoors and 460 ft outdoors while n has range of 230 ft. indoors and 820 ft. outdoors. When I'm in bedroom in my house (older house with thick walls) I get much better connection and speed with n.

11. civicsisedan

And no one has really answered the question...

Should we decline this update if were trying to gain root?

Whats the probability that this software update will close the only loophole we have to root?

12. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Ah, the range. I knew it was supposed to be better, but I didn't realize that it gave you that kind of an increase. That would be a good reason then.

This was all theoretical for me anyway, since I've used the WiFi on my Inc once in the almost two months I've had it, just to see how it worked. We've got great EvDO coverage here... no need. Though it's gotten a little bit of use in reverse since I've rooted and can WiFi tether now. :D

13. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Know one knows for sure until the update is released.

The SAFE thing to do is decline the update until, its confirmed one way or another...