Should we separate forums for the different S3-versions?

Last Updated: 2012-08-23 14:11:16
  1. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

As the title says: should we do as you've done for the Root-forums

Advertisement
    Ashokan likes this.
  2. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good idea. I don't have one but I just visited over there and it's hard to differentiate between carriers. Not everyone says
  3. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Yes. Seems a lot more orderly the way Android Central has set it up. Though generally the same devices, the carrier radios and different bloat used creates a lot of issues and are tips of icebergs.

I think so much of this, I might add a new nickname and agree again....
  4. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

I agree as well. Everyday I come here to check out info for the Verizon gs3 and I gotta sort through the posts that aren't labeled Verizon. And the Verizon thread is just a list of tracking numbers and status updates.
  5. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Postively. Yes.

:thumbup:

Edit: other phones do like the S2, so why not the S3 ?
  6. cmybliss

cmybliss Well-Known Member

I also agree. Looks like the different versions are having different issues. It can be a bit confusing trying to sort it all out.
  7. breezex

breezex Well-Known Member

I too find it confusing to traverse the various threads and conversation trying to figure out if the problem/feature is carrier or version dependent. I first look for Location:, but many posters don't bother with a location or a legitimate location. What would be nice is if each title had a [VZW], [ATT], [O2], [US], [INTL] [UK], .... at the beginning, but that would require more discipline than can be expected. So, I reluctantly support the call for separate forums.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Yes. Too many issues trying to answer questions when the phone are different.
  9. mrbutters

mrbutters Well-Known Member

10. question729

question729 Well-Known Member

Yes, I support separating phones by carrier. Although I admittedly find it amusing when people are arguing about things... "I can assure you the option is there if you click the gear thing!" "Look, I just clicked it and it isn't there!!" :)
  11. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

No!

We'd probably have 50% of the thread just be discussions of the same thing in 4 different forums/threads.

What about a way to prepend a carrier tag to the topic subject? Most people wouldn't do that, but there are enough guides to help.

If it's carrier specific, the thread title gets tagged with the carrier.
    osutuffy and Flumme like this.
  12. treb1797

I volunteer to be a Guide :captain:
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/562739-will-there-forum-na-version-s3.html

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/562493-two-different-network-types-same-forum.html

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/535344-galaxy-nexus-subforum.html

This comes up ALL the time. It has been decided that NO is the answer.

I for one stand by that NO whole heartedly. I think it would be detrimental for all of us.

Here are some of my comments:

osutuffy, Unforgiven, davoid and 2 others like this.
  14. laptopquestion

laptopquestion Well-Known Member

Although I don't know how feasible it would be to do, but another option would be to augment the existing prefixes (which users are required to specify) when creating a new thread:

Current Prefixes
    Accessory
    General
    Support
    Tips

S3 Specific Prefixes
    Intl
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Sprint
    AT&T

Something like:

General - S3 Verizon
    Support - S3 Intl

Prefixes could be shortened or order changed, but the basic premise still holds.

That would allow all the Samsung Galaxy S3 threads to stay in the same forum, but would allow users to categorize them by specific vendor as well as utilize the 'Filter by:' option already available.

Just throwing it out there.....
    cmybliss, Flumme and lennydude like this.
  15. SUroot

I like that and I think it was considered previously but didn't go ahead.
  16. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

Well put. I was primarily going for hardware differences, and not carrier based. But I see your point.
  17. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I for one would welcome separate forums. Who cares if the same issue is being discussed in 4 different forums? They are different phones! Would it make the guides job harder? In all honestly, does this forum exist for the benefit of the mods and guides.......don't think so.
    I agree somewhat with the points made by those who disagree with my opinion but i bet a vast majority of the "general" membership would vote for separate forums.

Not holding my breath over this issue however...........those in charge seem to only see one side of the coin :(:(
  18. SUroot

The people who have an issue that translates across all the devices but only gets 25% of the visibility it could have had before forums were separated.

The 75% of people trying desperately to resolve an issue for someone, not knowing that the other 25% of people had already solved it and their efforts were in vein.

Seriously, what is the problem with how it is now? Except for a little bit of hardware and modem, the phone software is the same! Its the SAME phone. If I wonder who else is having an issue with the capacitive buttons, I dont just want to know from International GSM users. I want to know from Verizon users, AT&T users because they all have the SAME capacitive buttons.

There is much more to be lost by separating the forums than there is to be gained.

All we need is for people to prefix their posts if its an issue specific (or they think is specific) to a hardware iteration of the device.

There are a million examples of issues that affect all the devices. Having separate forums for each device for the goal of not having to go through more posts is amazingly short sighted.
  19. treb1797

How about we put a poll on this discussion & see what folks think.
  20. SUroot

Why? The poll will do nothing to change the minds of the Admins. It has been discussed and repeatedly discussed on countless occasions. It has been decided and no amount of polling will change that.

I'd actually leave this forum if it did.
    osutuffy likes this.
  21. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

General consensus is that the phones are the same. Therefore, there is no reason to split it up based on what carrier you are on.

Having the same question on 4 different forums doesn't help anyone.

If you feel differently about this you need to take it up in the correct forum that was linked earlier.
    SUroot likes this.
  22. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I am in the camp of having one general forum and multiple ATR forums. I'm not the one who makes the call, though. That is the admin. I am stating my own opinion here (just to be absolutely clear): The reason is that I don't seen enough differences between the variants to separate them.

The differences seem to be limited to update schedule, screen settings, and network modes. Outside of that, I haven't seen much difference. I've been helping international phone users by directing them using processes I've figured out for my Sprint SGS3.

Overall, people have been doing good to note what version of the phone they have. Also the Verizon version is new. So it seems like there should be separate forums. Give it a month after the full Verizon release and I'm sure things will settle down to be more of the generic support questions.

Also, SURoot, IIRC you and I have discussed merging the ATR forums. Considering everything that has evolved in the ATR forums, I think that's going to be a mistake. We might be able to merge the AT&T with T-Mo USA forums, but definitely not the Sprint and Verizon ATR forums. Sprint has an unencrypted bootloader, Verizon will not, so there are going to be different processes, different ROMs, etc.
    ndh777, SUroot, Flumme and 1 other person like this.
  23. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I would hate to see the general forum split into different carrier subforums, apart from the technical necessity of sub-categorizing the All Things Root forum.

I feel like we in the UK have been waiting for (dare I say even anticipating) our North American cousins to receive their S3s and share in their joy and possibly ease their concerns. If they now keep to themselves because they have already fallen into cliques in their respective 'waiting for verizon, sprint, whatever' carrier specific threads I feel it would be a detriment to all. This could be the largest phone-based online community, period, on the strength of the success of the S3, but to divide and segregate that community would be to diminish the chances of learning from each other, be it culturally or technologically.

And as has already been said, if a solution to a common problem has been found it would be a tragic waste for that solution to be retained within one subforum that is never read by people outside of that carrier's customer base.
  24. Saauron

Saauron Member

Just to quickly address the distinction of different hardware versions - there are only three hardware versions of the S3 (if you count the Korean Exynos+LTE+2GB RAM version.) Unlike most phones which are on CDMA and GSM carriers, the US GS3 uses the Qualcomm S4 "MSM8960" chipset, which supports all of the US radio frequencies.

Now, there are software differences within the hardware, as evidenced by the different bloat and Verizon's locked bootloader/permanent wifi toggle notification.

Root/ROMS will likely need to be carrier specific, but otherwise the only differences are between the Exynos and S4 - it remains to be seen whether troubleshooting will turn up carrier-specific problems.
    Flumme, Rxpert83 and jerofld like this.
  25. SUroot

We did indeed.

I still think partly it can. I never wanted to see all of them merged. I just want everything that was distinctly the same, to be together. If AT&T can be merged with T-mob, then great :)

There's:

GSM Exynos (including Korean)
    GSM S4 (AT&T/T-mob)
    CDMA S4 (Verizon / Sprint)

Although as jerofld mentions about the bootloader, that is probably enough to warrant the separation of those 2 CDMA S4 versions.
    jerofld likes this.