Shoulod I get the LG Ally or the Motorola Devour?General

Last Updated:

1. DPM410

DPM410 New Member This Topic's Starter

The Ally looks really good... except I'm reading some posts on here and it seems buggy... so idk.. im stumped between the Devour and Ally.. I didnt want to get the Devour because it has Android 1.6. But is 2.1 that better that 1.6? And also, do they both have an equally accurate touch screen? And btw.. sorry i know i mispelled the title of the post lol

Advertisement
  2. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

So far the only one that has been rooted is the LG. If your not interested in rooting the phone, i think i would go with the devour, but thats just me;)

3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

there are alot of really great apps that are 2.0 or higher. right now I believe the devour is still "under evaluation" to get the 2.1 update. Ally already comes with it. Might I as why you aren't looking into getting the original Droid? I know the droid is touted as a tank, but I've had alot of times with all three phones, and they are all very "heavy" for phones.

4. Neplusultra

Neplusultra Active Member

My mother got the ally last week and loves it. Upgraded from a palm Good phone, good memory and amazing battery life. Of course after having the evo for a couple weeks I couldn't enjoy myself on it like she does.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

5. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Well-Known Member

Ive had both... I returned the Devour twice and on its third time they gave me an Ally....I could sit here all day about differences, but you really need to go to a corporate store and hold them both... Winners:

OS - Ally 2.1 ( Motorola too busy to make a Blur 2.1 for its Devour & Backflip series)
    Overlay - Devour with Blur ( Socialite is broken but its optional unlike Blur)
    Vanilla Android - Ally
    Weight - Ally (close)
    Keyboard - Devour (spaced and raised keys)
    Screen - Ally
    Look - Devour ( many thought it was a titanium Droid)
    Form - Tie

Basically the 2.1 puts the Ally one over the top... The Devour is an awesome phone for first time Androiders and social types though but I think they have already discontinued it in some stores....

6. ohmrsh

ohmrsh Member

I would definitely go with the Ally. I'm going to be on my third Devour on Tuesday, which will make it a week. I'm definitely going to push for the Ally. Motorola is still saying that the 2.1 upgrade is under evaluation...that it may or may not happen. I wouldn't take the chance.

7. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

Neither. Ally won't be getting any OS updates and Devour is being discontinued. I'd say go with the Moto Droid. This coming from an Ally owner.

8. KareyChaos

KareyChaos New Member

neither. ive had both and was unsatisfied. i had 4 evours within the first 3 months and my ally is acting up.

9. jreed2560

I think if anyone looking to get an entry level device now, should wait on the bottom to fall out of the original droids price. With it hitting EOL it should drop down really fast

10. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

The opposite may happen as well. As it is the only Dev phone available on Verizon it could get more expensive as the demand increases and supply decreases.

11. jreed2560

Not really since that only people that care that its a dev phone only make up about 1% of the actual customer base. Hell if the price drops to 50 or less I'll jump all over it

12. socarwolverine

socarwolverine Well-Known Member

That will only affect the aftermarket, Verizon won't raise the price on an old phone. That's why you see so many buy one get one free deals on them, they want to clear stock. If they still have any later they'll drop the price for sure.

13. jreed2560

and I'll be right there to scoop a droid up at 49.99! :D