• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Show clock without even activating screen. Possible?

Jurje

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
Hello everyone.

First of all I'd like to state that I'm a massive noob on this forum, so if I'm being stupid for not finding a thread about this subject yet, please refer me to it. My apologies.

I've recently bought my LG G3 like 2 months ago. Now, I'm the type of person that likes perfection, so I've already tweaked my phone to the max (without 'hacking' into the system though), for as far as I'm concerned.
I was wondering if any of you know an app or trick to always show a digital clock on the screen, even when it's locked (untouched). I've read on forums that a lot of people complain about battery draining owing to the latter. Though I'm searching for just a tiny, dimmed clock on top of my screen so I can always look up the time without even tapping the screen. My logics tell me that those few pixels used will never really benefit to massive battery draining, and even if it would, I'm still curious whether it's possible yes or no.

I've tried the NoLED app. But like most apps, this is just another Daydream tweaker, which obviously is not what I'm looking for.

So in conclusion, I'm looking for a tiny little clock destined for the top of my screen, always visible, dimmed (to save battery life), not in the way Daydream does (since this leaves the entire screen on [draining more battery life than my idea IMO]).

Anyone know a trick, app or tweak to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jurjen

This isn't possible with the lg g3, since it uses an lcd screen.

It is only possible on devices like the moto x/turbo/nexus6 that use amoled type screens. Amoled screens allow true black/not lit pixels. So even if you find an app that allows you to do this, it'll have a massive battery drain since the entire backlight/all pixels will be using power. Even on the moto x, the clock only comes on when you wave your hand near it, always on uses way too much power. I'd suggest a smartwatch, I think I saw pebbles are on sale for as cheap as like $99 now sometimes, and those can stay always on for days. Also If you are willing to forego security(not suggested) I noticed when I turned my knock code on its slower to wake up than if you just use straight knock on or possibly knock on w/other security like a pin or pattern.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones