• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shut up about the freakin' iPhone!!

ya know I really don't mind the device itself it just the people that regurgitate the ad blather about how it's "the most advanced device".

It is not, but hey if it works for ya then great!

I had an mp3 player long before apple put one together (Rio with a Clik! drive, anyone remember those?) and many many since then. Never purchased an Apple product because there was always something that did the same thing for alot less money, and all tied ti itunes which I think is a bloated pile dung....That is still the case and I just can't believe how many folks believe everything a commercial tells them.

Upvote 0
I love the Incredible but iPhone is still much more polished and will do everything you need it to do out the box.

Can't say the same for the Incredible, yet.

Say wha? My Inc does EVERYTHING I need it to, and more. Now, i guess in your case it may not, but to be honest, I am not sure what you are missing either.

I also disagree with you on the iPhone being more polished. The big thing about it, is that is Play-skool simple. Just a few pages of pretty icons, a couple of settings, and that is it. If a company other than Apple had made this, it would have been laughed out of the market. I wan't a phone that can stand on it's own, and doesn't require a fleet of apps to have decent selling points..

Upvote 0
Let me just say this is probably where this article is going to take a turn from a civil conversation to potential flaming...

Lets keep it at civil discussion, I am very much enjoying this particular thread.

This is going back to my original statement about Apple. Android (similar to linux but not the same extent) will always be for the more tech savvy. IMO, the % of Android users that aren't tech savvy is the same as the % of iPhone users who are.

Also, giving a little less praise to Apple. If they would loosen their grip and offer the OS on different devices, different carriers and let developers do what they are good at...holy shit, I don't want to say it but I feel like their ability to advertise and generate buzz/hype/zombies would allow them to skyrocket to a seemingly unreachable height.

Until then, take the time to get to know your Android and you will be amazed at what it can do to blow the iPhone away. Simplicity is limiting.

Upvote 0
I think the attitude that goes along with Apple products is what typically makes people react so strongly (for or against). They make good products...but come on, they aren't THAT good.

I had an iPhone 3G and still own the 160GB iPod, both work/worked great. Neither of them were the greatest thing ever made. I actually think the Zune is a better product than an iPod. I prefer the Zune's hardware and software (since day one I have hated iTunes), but whats the point? My iPod will probably outlive it's usefulness by 20 years. And while the phone was nice and worked, I've had zero issues with my Incredible right out of the box. Plus the amount of tweaking that I am capable of doing to my DInc makes it the superior device, to me.

P.S. Also get sick of hearing about how much easier it is for "typical users" to use an iPhone vs an Android device. That might have been true before, but I don't think it's true with the Incredible. Right out of the box without any major tweaking the phone is easy to use and incredibly fast. It only gets complicated once you start customizing it, but once you start down that path, you really aren't a "typical user" anymore.

Upvote 0
I have my eye on a couple Apple products but I'm still awaiting the outcome of my request for a federal subsidy. I figured since the government is giving out money to anyone, perhaps they can help me help Jobs and his poor staff make their mortgages and get off food stamps. If that falls through, I'm really gonna have to think long and hard about giving up my dream of purchasing a used F22 so I can get a couple Macs and iPods for the family.

Reactions: juzcallmeneo
Upvote 0
Just to stir the pot some more :D
Will The iPhone 4 Allow Apple To Keep The Top Spot?-Part-1 | ShaswatPatel.com

I do have an Incredible for work purposes and I have a pre-order for the iPhone 4 for personal use.

Reading this article and the first thing that kind of irked me. Does anyone else think that iPhone doesn't look as pretty as the DINC? I mean straight on, both rounded rectangles. But the iPhone isn't much besides that. The DINC has the sweet shaped ass thats matte. IMO, it looks better. Still reading though...interesting article.

EDIT: god d@mnit, the stupid article only has a part 1. it seems like its just another overview. This is a good article to read if you havent already http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

Upvote 0
As a current iPhone owner (not fanboy) I see this bias going both ways, people are just as passionate about their Android, BB, PalmOS phones as iPhone users, there are just far more iPhone fanboys so you're more likely to run into one almost anywhere you go. My point is, if HTC could license iPhone OS you best believe there would be several HTC phones running iPhone OS right now. Why? Because it sells hardware plain and simple. People forget Apple is primarily a hardware company and the OS is just a way to sell buttloads of iPhone, IPod & iPad hardware.

Why does it sell hardware? Because your mom can pick it up and feel comfortable using it in a few minutes and feel like a master in a few hours. Android and the other OSs could learn quite a bit from Apple when it comes to UI design and end user experience. How else can you sell a smartphone by the millions that doesn't really multi-task or have MMS? You make everything else so easy and good that people just don't care, then you spend millions in marketing telling EVERYONE about it, i.e., you build mindshare. EVERY smartphone manufacturer on the planet would shoot grandma to have this kind of mindshare, once it becomes cool to own your product, the dollars start flowing, another example is BB breaking into the consumer market, BBOS falls flat on its face compared to Android, iPhone OS and PalmOS, but right now it's cool for the average consumer (not nerds like us) to own a BB. I will say that unless RIM does something about the end user experience on their phones, their "reign on the top will be short like leprechauns", but right now they sell tons of BBs to people who don't even care to learn BBM, the cash is rolling in, they could care less if people appreciate the strengths of their platform.

Sorry for the novel, I'm not a lover of any one manufacturer because they all want to get in my pockets, I'm just fascinated by marketing even though my 15 year career has been in IT. After seeing the sheer genius of some marketers, I truly believe a good marketer can sell sand in the desert and I find it very interesting how they can get into the mind and pocketbook of the average consumer time and time again.

Android is the future but they've got some UI work to do and Google knows it, hence the very early announcement or leak that Gingerbread will be all about the UI......

Upvote 0
Next time someone starts telling you how terrible Android is and how much better the iPhone is you have two options. You can start asking them questions and feign ignorance while they dig themselves into a huge hole and then bury them by correcting their fallacies or you can just tell them that you have used both and you prefer the phone you have. Or both. I generally combine the two as it teaches people a lesson.

Upvote 0
Interesting, apparently I'm not the only one having a bad apple day (pun intended) I started a similar thread here: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/103834-apple-fanboy-ceiling.html

But might as well add my own story to this thread, since everyone's already here.

I am currently the only Android user in my office of about 100 people. I am surrounded by BBs and iPhones. The BB users are okay, but the iPhone users can be extremely trying! (I am the in-house graphic designer, and I use WINDOWS! I am so sick of people looking at me aghast and saying "You don't use a Mac?" when they see my set-up. that's another story though...)

I am fortunate enough to get to demo Android units from Rogers Wireless to write reviews on my blog, so in addition to my personal Magic, I get to bring in cool new Android phones to show off. (So far the X10 and Acer Liquid E).

One of my co-workers is looking to get a new phone, so I've been showing him Android. Of course, one of the nosy iPhoneys decided to butt in with "NO, you should get an iPhone! I loooove my iPhone, it's amazing!!!!" (Yes the exclamation marks were there when he said it).

I replied that Android was just as good as iPhone. The co-worker who is looking for a new phone said "but iPhone is easier to use."

I asked why he thought that, and he replied (gesturing to the iPhone co-worker) "well, that's what they say."

The iPhoney just keeps ranting about how much he LOOOOVES his iPhone. When I suggested he might like to try Android to see if he might like it, he declared "I already love my iPhone, why would I want to try anything else?"

It's so frustrating. It's not the iPhone I dislike, it's the hordes of brainwashed zombies who parrot the marketing of Mr. Jobs, and muddy the whole issue.

I want Android to do well, but it's such a struggle dealing with the Fanboy variable.

Rant over. Time to eat. :-(

Upvote 0
Interesting, apparently I'm not the only one having a bad apple day (pun intended) I started a similar thread here: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/103834-apple-fanboy-ceiling.html

But might as well add my own story to this thread, since everyone's already here.

I am currently the only Android user in my office of about 100 people. I am surrounded by BBs and iPhones. The BB users are okay, but the iPhone users can be extremely trying! (I am the in-house graphic designer, and I use WINDOWS! I am so sick of people looking at me aghast and saying "You don't use a Mac?" when they see my set-up. that's another story though...)

I am fortunate enough to get to demo Android units from Rogers Wireless to write reviews on my blog, so in addition to my personal Magic, I get to bring in cool new Android phones to show off. (So far the X10 and Acer Liquid E).

One of my co-workers is looking to get a new phone, so I've been showing him Android. Of course, one of the nosy iPhoneys decided to butt in with "NO, you should get an iPhone! I loooove my iPhone, it's amazing!!!!" (Yes the exclamation marks were there when he said it).

I replied that Android was just as good as iPhone. The co-worker who is looking for a new phone said "but iPhone is easier to use."

I asked why he thought that, and he replied (gesturing to the iPhone co-worker) "well, that's what they say."

The iPhoney just keeps ranting about how much he LOOOOVES his iPhone. When I suggested he might like to try Android to see if he might like it, he declared "I already love my iPhone, why would I want to try anything else?"

It's so frustrating. It's not the iPhone I dislike, it's the hordes of brainwashed zombies who parrot the marketing of Mr. Jobs, and muddy the whole issue.

I want Android to do well, but it's such a struggle dealing with the Fanboy variable.

Rant over. Time to eat. :-(

I love the fanboys...I own no apple products although my daughter has an Ipod touch because of the severe teen peer pressure ....I prefer thinkpads over Macs for business, prefer rhapsody on my mp3 sansa player and on my Droid for entertainment and prefer android over Iphone because I like not getting dropped calls with AT&T....but I tell you I do love aapl stock which I have accumulated starting in the 70's last year...it allows me to buy the products I prefer so I aways thank the fanboys, keep up the great work pumping up the aapl stock :)

Upvote 0
A while back, I was having a friendly discussion with an iPhone user who stated, casually, that iPods and iPhones had the best music quality around. I disagreed, and challenged them to a somewhat unscientific sound test.

We set up a table that had a raised surface, downloaded the same mp3 to 5 devices (an early iPod, an iPhone, a BlackBerry Curve, a Palm Pre and an old Sandisk player) In addition, we had the laptop the mp3 came with. We piped each, one after another through a set of portable speakers.

Everyone thought they could identify the Apple products. NOBODY could. We had 22 people (3 adults and 18 teens). No which one they picked? Most picked the Pre.

Apple is the best marketer in the business. Period.

I read somewhere that the biggest set of people purchasing iPods today were people that already owned a Touch or an iPhone. As I always say, that is very telling. Almost equivalent to selling bulbs to the sun. Apple made themselves ubiquitous.

Most people will never use MOST of the features the iPhone touts. Apps? I read that the average iPhone user downloads 7 apps. Doesn't matter. Any iPhone owner knows to say they have "millions" of apps.

But... here's the thing... iPhone owners, for the most part, are happy with their devices. Marketing machine aside, Apple makes a product that is perfoct for most smartphone users. Love it or hate it, the iPhone dictates the standard.

As I have said before, I have little loyalty to platforms. If Apple puts out the capabilities that I need with more options with regard to carrier, I'd consider them. I understand that most people don't require what I need, and I am okay with that.

Upvote 0
Apple is the best marketer in the business. Period.

I read somewhere that the biggest set of people purchasing iPods today were people that already owned a Touch or an iPhone. As I always say, that is very telling. Almost equivalent to selling bulbs to the sun. Apple made themselves ubiquitous.

Most people will never use MOST of the features the iPhone touts. Apps? I read that the average iPhone user downloads 7 apps. Doesn't matter. Any iPhone owner knows to say they have "millions" of apps.

But... here's the thing... iPhone owners, for the most part, are happy with their devices. Marketing machine aside, Apple makes a product that is perfoct for most smartphone users. Love it or hate it, the iPhone dictates the standard.

As I have said before, I have little loyalty to platforms. If Apple puts out the capabilities that I need with more options with regard to carrier, I'd consider them. I understand that most people don't require what I need, and I am okay with that.

You hit the nail on the head here, people like us who visit these forums are fascinated with custom roms and leaked firmware. 99% of the people why buy smartphones want email, sms & mms, web browsing & gps. Make those things easy and you have a loyal customer who will sell your product for you. Apple knows how to market to these people and give them or in some cases tell them what they want. Its truly fascinating how they can do it over and over again.

I know this is an anti iPhone thread, but some are very quick to judge Apples userbase for things these people care absolutely nothing about, they have chosen the product that meets their needs and its their money.

RIM, HTC, and the company formerly known as Palm would kill to have these so called "sheep" as customers.

I'll wrap this up (I know, another novel) by saying that people in this thread who think they are "educating" people on how subpar iPhone OS is compared to Android aren't educating anyone. When the next iPhone, drops they will buy it, honestly these people look at you as a geek who takes his or her appliance waaay to seriously, the people I know would tell you to go find a girlfriend...lol

Now, i'm really looking forward to owning my 1st Android smartphone, I'll be buying the Droid X the day it drops, NE2 is ready to go, but my jailbroken 3GS is a keeper, it's the most trouble-free smartphone I've ever owned, I haven't had to reboot it in at least 6 months. I'm far from a fanboy or sheep and having worked in IT for the past 15 years 5 as a UNIX sysadmin, I think I know my way around technology.....

off my soapbox now, just having a little fun playing devils advocate today :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones