• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sideloading and gApps

I do want it unshackled.. I mean if the idea of just "get it from the amazon market" is the norm.. we would never root anything.. try other roms.. etc..

may as well just move onto the iDevices

Then don't buy it. Plain and simple. If you don't like a locked down device that's geared specifically at consuming Amazon content, don't buy it. You're not in the demographic it's aimed at and that's fine.

Upvote 0
androidforums.com/amazon-kindle-fire/445529-kindle-fire-won-t-run-all-android-apps.html

I'm assuming some sideloaded apps won't work at all due to Amazon's "crippling" of the API. And, if they're willing to go that far then I'm assuming that the boot loader is encrypted as well, making 3rd party ROMs difficult or even impossible.

Upvote 0
According to the CNET BOL video podcast, there is an option for sideloading.

As for Gapps, there's only a few Gapps I like personally. Google's native Gmail app isn't one of the Gapps I like at all! Since I wouldn't use the Kindle Fire for GPS, maps would only be good for Latitude. The native Google Calendar with syncing with Google Calendar is a must though!

Upvote 0
According to the CNET BOL video podcast, there is an option for sideloading.

As for Gapps, there's only a few Gapps I like personally. Google's native Gmail app isn't one of the Gapps I like at all! Since I wouldn't use the Kindle Fire for GPS, maps would only be good for Latitude. The native Google Calendar with syncing with Google Calendar is a must though!

The only Google app that I like and use is YouTube. I guess I have to get used to all the other Google apps when I get my Galaxy Nexus.

Upvote 0
I used this method.

How To Run Almost Any Android App On the Kindle Fire - How To Install Apps | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

It worked for all the non-sign in type apps including maps. Netflix looks good.

Great write-up! I'm glad to know that LastPass and Dolphin HD work. After seeing disappointing performance from the Kindle Fire in comparisons against the iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab, I'm hoping that Dolphin HD would be faster.

Is anyone bummed that the Blockbuster app doesn't work?

Gmail, Feedly, and Facebook are probably my most-important apps that require logins.

Wait. LastPass is all about logins. How can it work?

Upvote 0
Great write-up! I'm glad to know that LastPass and Dolphin HD work. After seeing disappointing performance from the Kindle Fire in comparisons against the iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab, I'm hoping that Dolphin HD would be faster.

Is anyone bummed that the Blockbuster app doesn't work?

Gmail, Feedly, and Facebook are probably my most-important apps that require logins.

Wait. LastPass is all about logins. How can it work?

I think its just Google apps requiring a login that are the problem.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones