• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sidetone Control

Brenor

Lurker
Jul 6, 2012
Sidetone is the subtle feedback of your own voice into a headset when your speaking on a phone call. It allows you to control the volume of your voice. It is standard on all land lines and many but not all cell phones and not all OS versions.

Search on the term 'sidetone' and you see plenty of folks that either hate it on their new phone and want to switch it off or lament that it missing and really want to switch it on. Basically, there is just a right amount that suits each individual, and if your phone has too much or not enough it is incredibly irritating. It can also depend on the type of earphone you use, some work better with sidetone others not so much.

I can't find any App that allows you to control it for yourself, though it seems that on some phone secret menus can screw with it to mixed success.

So high level of irritation, significant desire for personal control should equal an opportunity for an App that while it may not have huge distribution, those that want it will pay. Frankly I'd fork out $30 right now for it.

PS: Has to work on Galaxy S3 :)

Sidetone control might have been limited on headsets (especially Bluetooth-connected units) by the processing delay of routing some mic signal back to the earphones, but with today's phones could be reasonably implemented. Finding someone who knows what sidetone is and would be willing to implement it is another story. I still wait for this feature, too, 6 years later ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones