Signal Bars EDGE/3GGeneral

1. epp

epp Well-Known Member

Just bought a Samsung Dart, great phone for the money.

I am within line-of-sight of two T-Mobile cell sites, the closest is less than 1/2 mile away.

When the phone is set to use 2G networks, the data icon changes to an E (EDGE) and displays full bars (4). In fact, because of my proximity to the closest cell site, every T-Mobile phone I've used in the past (GPRS/EDGE) has displayed full bars at home. No complaints about that. :)

When I then uncheck the box, the data icon changes back to 3G (using UMTS), but the number of bars then fluctuates between three and four.

This is the first 3G Android phone I've used and am curious if the signal bars fluctuating on the UMTS side, is something that should be expected.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member

Mine fluctuate here and there and actually, I'll even get a circle with a line through it for a moment. But the bars pop back up after a moment and soon the 3G symbol returns. Dunno why it does that. Dunno if that means the network reset itself or maybe my phone signal switching towers? Good question :)
  3. epp

epp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently on the $2.00/day no-contract plan (which has unlimited web at 2G speeds). When I switch the phone to 3G (UMTS), the same data speeds come through and didn't know if that had anything to do with it.

Otherwise, no complaints about the signal. :D