• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Signal Bars in dBm?

JMF_Droid

Jan 1, 2010
Newark, OH
Now I know this issue or thread is probably somewhere out there, but I could not find one for the Fascinate? So I apologize ahead of time.

Anyways, as you all already know the Fascinate sometimes shows bars the do not match up w/ the dBm & vice versa. I was wondering if anyone knew what rang of dBm were equivalent to each set of bars? I've found one before for 5 bar phones, but ours only has 4 bars. Also...it's the lower the #, the better, right? So like -77dBm is better than -102dBm?

Yeah, the bars don't seem accurate at all. They actually make me laugh. Seeing as I can have 3 bars, be at -96dBm, and also be at 3 bars w/ -81dBm....I see combos of stuff like that all day. Also I just downloaded the Real Signal app to see how it matched up, now I have all kinds of different readings, lol! Idk which one is real. The bars don't match up w/ the stock dBm reader...and definitely don't match up w/ Real Signal. Real signal always claims I have worse service than the bars & stock dBm reader in the options settings. None of this matters truly to me bc I've never had a dropped call or any slowness in data. Just a peev more than anything. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones