• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

signal fix (For me)

cntrlflcane

Lurker
Jun 23, 2010
First off, I'm not claiming that this will help your device, but it has for mine.

I was having horrible dropped signal issues prior to this, and when i say horrible, I mean, 4g dropping every other hour, from full bars to nothing and sometiimes when i did have full bars, the internet would hangup and not load pages.

I did all of these at once one day, just trying things out and cleaning up apps that I wasnt using.. so here goes.

-Deleted skype-Did this mainly to see if the lag in the app drawer would go away, which it did..and coincidentally the signal has never dropped again.
-checked data roaming
-went into 'system select' and checked "home only"

I havent tried going back and doing one at a time, to see if it could be one or the other, because my phone runs flawless now and as crazy as this may sound, I really don't want an update.

So try it out, if it work for you great :) if not, well, keep trying different things like i did. Good luck :)

First off, I'm not claiming that this will help your device, but it has for mine.

I was having horrible dropped signal issues prior to this, and when i say horrible, I mean, 4g dropping every other hour, from full bars to nothing and sometiimes when i did have full bars, the internet would hangup and not load pages.

I did all of these at once one day, just trying things out and cleaning up apps that I wasnt using.. so here goes.

-Deleted skype-Did this mainly to see if the lag in the app drawer would go away, which it did..and coincidentally the signal has never dropped again.
-checked data roaming
-went into 'system select' and checked "home only"

I havent tried going back and doing one at a time, to see if it could be one or the other, because my phone runs flawless now and as crazy as this may sound, I really don't want an update.

So try it out, if it work for you great :) if not, well, keep trying different things like i did. Good luck :)

Were you having the issue described here?

Issue 24345 - android - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE) radio drops all data and voice - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Was voice also dropping? If so, I had believed this was a hardware issue. It may still be, but the settings above may work around the hardware problem?

When I was having the problem and called 611, they told me to check data roaming (which I didn't have selected), but it still failed.

I swapped my device and it still does this very occasionally, but nowhere near as often as before (which was like 20 times a day).

Upvote 0
Were you having the issue described here?

Issue 24345 - android - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE) radio drops all data and voice - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Was voice also dropping? If so, I had believed this was a hardware issue. It may still be, but the settings above may work around the hardware problem?

When I was having the problem and called 611, they told me to check data roaming (which I didn't have selected), but it still failed.

I swapped my device and it still does this very occasionally, but nowhere near as often as before (which was like 20 times a day).

I never had the voice dropping. But, quite often, after a phone call, I would have no 4g/3g so I did have to reset the signal via 'airplane' mode after a voice call to get the 4g to come back. But since doing the above, I have not had that issue. :)

Upvote 0
What does "home only" setting in system select do?

I'm also seeing grey signal bars for a short while after phone calls. It's not dropping signal and coming back to blue soon. But I wonder if home only setting can prevent it from going grey.

Are you in a 3G only area when that happens? Because the Nexus can't do simultaneous voice and data except when the data is over LTE. I'd have to check if my bars are gray after a call or not in a 4G area.

How long after the phone call does it take the bars to turn blue? Remember, blue only means the phone is in touch with google. It's entirely possible there is a period between the call and when the bars turn blue that you're phone has a perfectly fine data connection. There just might be some delay between the gray and blue bars. A few seconds is normal I think.

Upvote 0
Are you in a 3G only area when that happens? Because the Nexus can't do simultaneous voice and data except when the data is over LTE. I'd have to check if my bars are gray after a call or not in a 4G area.

How long after the phone call does it take the bars to turn blue? Remember, blue only means the phone is in touch with google. It's entirely possible there is a period between the call and when the bars turn blue that you're phone has a perfectly fine data connection. There just might be some delay between the gray and blue bars. A few seconds is normal I think.

It takes about 10 seconds for grey bars to turn to blue after phone calls. Like you said, it seems connected to data even when it's grey with 3G or 4G icon on it. It doesn't look like big deal for me but I can see it makes others somewhat annoying.

BTW, I just spoke with VZW tech support regarding data roaming and home only setting in Nexus wireless setting. He said I can try that to use data roaming without picking up data signal from other countries like Mexico, Canada to avoid ridiculous roaming charge. He told me it might help with smooth 3G/4G switch over and holding 4G connection on spotty location but there is no guarantee it will always be better.

edit: I just tested settings like OP (home only, data roaming) and it seems definitely faster on signal bars turning to blue after calls. 3G/4G switching seems quicker too. it definitely makes radios respond quicker though I was not having any horrible signal dropping issues before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones