• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Signal problem

cougar214

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2011
Hey guys. I'm having major problems with my signal. Let me start at the beginning. Two weeks ago my phone started to act funny and the battery wasn't holding a charge. Then the charging port wouldn't make a connection. So I ordered a new battery and charging port. The battery came in a couple days ago and is charging fine, when the port would make the connection, and the charging port came in yesterday. I changed the charging port out and everything went smoothly. I triple checked every connection before I reassembled my phone. Everything was good. But now my signal is very weak in my house as of yesterday afternoon after replacing the port. This morning I wake up and I have no signal at all. Just the circle with the line through it. I heard that the antenna wires are very easily damaged when changing out these charging ports but I have signal, at least yesterday when I drove into town, down the road from me and it is strong. If I damaged the antenna wire somehow wouldn't I get no signal anywhere?

And is the UCMD3 the current modem for the 4.1.2? I'm just curious because I have flashed a few different modems and none seem to work other than the UCMD3.

If the antenna wires were damaged near the antenna, you still have a couple of mm of wire as an "antenna", so when the signal is really strong it works.

Or you could have misaligned or loosened the connection between the antenna and the connections to it.

You can open it up again and fool around some more, maybe breaking something else, or you can bring it to a repair shop and have it done correctly.

Upvote 0
Anything is possible so I will be ordering a new antenna wire but in the meantime I am running on the assumption that the charging port itself was defective and I'm having a new one RMA'd to me. Once I put that one in I will know if I damaged the wire somehow. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones