Signal strength/call quality

Last Updated:

1. reidbo

reidbo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Been thinking about flashing a new radio for my hero but I'm just not sure what is a good signal or a bad signal. At my house my phone shows 2-3 bars and between 84-93db most of the time. Is that good? what should be a standard for evaluating signal strength? Sorry if this has already been done. In past threads i've seen posts re: decibals but none i've ever seen has stated what the norm/standard is or what a person should expect. As far as flashing a new radio I know its trial and error. I was just wanting to know what I should expect. TYVM in advance for your answers. BTW running Fresh 2.3.3 with his stock radio 1.04.01.09.21

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

On a cdma network even one bar just about gives you perfect reception. Unless you are dropping calls or have a high time without signal its nothing to worry about.

3. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

anyone have a link for the most updated radio and how to? i only get two bars with darch's 2.7 rom and any other rom i had full bars..i'm runnin on -83 dBm..i kno if u don't have all bars then it runs ur batter more

4. Joehunni

Bah, only time it should drain battery is when you have 0 bars and the phone has to search for a signal.

5. androidtp

any idea why it's only showing 2 bars when i use to get all of them? i feel like i'm on at&t lol..

i kno ur on darch's 2.7 rom..do u get all bars?

6. Joehunni

Shit, only time I get all bars is like if I was standing on a skyscraper, beside a sprint tower, with a coat hanger rigged into my phones antenna. I do fine with the 1 or 2 bars I always have.

7. androidtp

LMAO! Cheers

8. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

-83dBm is just fine and shouldn't have any effect on battery life. Jumping in and out of service like I do at home, that'll have a bit of an effect. Basically, if you've got better than -95dBm, you've got good enough service to do anything. The best I've ever seen is -65dBm, or somewhere near there, and that's at work where I have full bars from a repeater or a tower that's nearby somewhere. At home, I'm lucky to get better than -105dBm, and that's when roaming on Verizon's signal (which, oddly enough, is on from the same tower my Sprint signal comes from at home lol)

9. androidtp

so the lower the better?

10. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

that depends on your definition of lower and how you read it lol. Technically, the higher number would be better, with -65 being quite a bit higher than -100. Stupid negative numbers get confusing in this situation lol

11. Oly

Oly New Member

Fresh 2.3.3 and the cdma Hero are perfectly compatible with the Eris radio version 2.41.04.02.02. It's available on xda. Works great, call quality is excellent and the data xfer rates are more than adequate. If you're having signal issues, I'd recommend going that route. Not sure if it makes a difference since I'm relatively new to the custom rom world, but I'm running 2.6.34 Darch 710 OC kernel as well.

12. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

i use the 2.32.40.11.09 radio from verizon's desire. supposedly it doesn't keep jumping and switching cell towers or something. i've tried the 2.42.01.04.27 radio and it was really jumpy because i saw my signal bars keep going up and down just sitting down in the same place in my room. try it, you might like it yourself

13. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

Radios Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

full list of radios. the one with the .27 is the most current one i think

14. my menace

my menace Well-Known Member

so does the actual amount of "bars" make a difference in your signal strength?

I'm running the latest zen rom and I noticed that even through my phone's status I'm getting -64 dbm but I've only got one "bar", when I'm at home I have -85 dbm and I've got two "bars"

so does the actual amount of "bars" you have make a difference? Could you 'hypothetically' have zero "bars" and still have a strong signal?

OK, now that I've completely overused my " key I'll step aside and see what someone else has to say

15. Joehunni

Unless you see an "X" over the bars or have a high time without signal then you've got a decent enough signal.