signal strength question

Last Updated:

1. bww143

bww143 Member This Topic's Starter

I am on Verizon network and was looking to get a Samsung Fascinate. I looked at the signal strength a 2 different stores, and both store Fascinate phones were about -10dBm higher than my 8320 Blackberry curve. Can I use this as signal comparison? Would I lose the ability to call in theory before the blackberry? I sometimes spend the weekend in a rural area where the signal strength is sometimes marginal on the blackberry at over -105 or so dBm is why I am asking. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

Location has much more to do with signal than the ph. used,there just isn't much dif.between ph.radios for signal reception.The manufacturers standard for their signal metering can be dif.,so trying to compare signal strength based solely on what the signal meter shows isn't always a good comparison.I consider the ph's signal meter as a basic guide but not always accurate.
    For this reason the standard for signal metering should be standardized throughout the industry,imo.

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

The phone itself can make a difference on signal depending on the build materal of the phone, antenna location, etc. But not a huge one. In fact, if the Fascinate can't hold a call, chances are, your Blackberry wouldn't either.

But your signal can vary wildly by even the smallest of details. How your holding the phone, what direction your facing, if your in a building, which way windows are facing in a building, etc. can all make a difference on your signal. Is it a good thing to look at? Yes, but only if there is a major issue, like in the iPhone 4's case.

4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I agree the phone can make a difference. Some phones actually do have better reception than others. My case....5 phones in about a 5 year period. In chronological order:

Motorola E815 - worked underground in subway systems. I wasnt working or living in a bad reception area so I didnt really about dropped calls issues.

Samsung u740 - didnt work in the subway systems and had dropped calls where I used to lived and where I work now. I lived and work in a bad reception area. I would have to go in my den, stand right next to the window for calls to hold, even then they would drop if I layed on the floor. At work I had no service at my desk.

Samsung Omnia 1 - same as the u740.

Motorola Droid 1 - worked underground in the subway systems and had service at my desk. I wasnt living in that area when I got the Droid but I still worked there. I had service at my desk. 1 bar, 1x but it was service...lol (At me desk I can get anywhere between -95 to -120 readings. -95 I get reception, at -120 is No Service)

Droid X - same as the Droid 1 but has even better reception than the Droid 1. Certain spots in the hallway the Droid 1 would start breaking up, the X didnt. Probably due to the Diversity Antennas.

So I agree the phone can make a difference. I recommend ppl trying to find out about reception to try the phones in a known bad reception area.

Me, I use the decibels readings like a compass to tell me what type of reception the area has. I actually try to use the phone to make and receive calls to tell me if its has good or bad reception. Since I have phones that have decent reception in bad reception areas I have something to measure reception against.