Signal Strength

Last Updated:

1. julesberry

julesberry New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 5, 2010

I presently have a Moto Droid. We live in an area that had lost signal when the Alltel/Verizon switch took place because customer service said they had to sell towers around us so as not have the disadvantage over other cell companies. Verizon allowed us to go ahead and upgrade early because we were still on Alltel phones. The signal is not any better on this Moto Droid. I am still missing calls, and the only notification I have that someone has called is if they leave a voice message. I have to go outside my home to make a phone call and then I only have two bars of signal at best. Before the switch we had a FULL signal.

My question is, is the Droid X any better at picking up a signal than the Moto Droid?

Thank you!

2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I don't know if switching phone's would really help. If your getting no signal indoors, its probably because the signal is far too weak to make it past your walls. I had the same problem at my friend's lake cabin, where the nearest tower is 3 miles away. You had to go outside by the lake to get an acceptable signal and sometimes even 3G if your lucky. We had a wide variety of Verizon phones, and all of them would choke if your indoors.

What I would do, is update your phone's PRL (preferred roaming list) by dialing *228 and then pressing 2. It will probably take about 2 minutes to program. Then quite possibly it might find a new tower for your area that may help your signal. Especially since you said they were messing with the Alltel towers. If you lucky that might help. If not, you could always try a Droid X, but it may not help at all, or possibly make it even worse.