General Signal strength

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rcyphermd, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    How is the Verizon signal strength on this phone?

Advertisement
  2. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    Compared to my Nexus, it's been great judging by the signal strength meter. I'm pulling 4G in places where 3G had been a challenge, and in general the 4G connection seems much more stable. My biggest signal complaint is the phone will hang on to a weak-to-nonexistent wifi connection and try to leach data from it when there's a perfectly good 4G connection available to switch over to. I shouldn't have to manually turn off my wifi to force it to switch.

3. brinky

brinky Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    VoIP Engineer
    38.897605896, -77.0365219116
    Do you have the avoid poor connections option checked in the advanced WiFi settings? Not sure if that would help though as I don't know if it really does anything or not.

4. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    Yep, checked. And yet the thing will sit there and spin the wheel of confusion with a completely greyed out wifi and 4 bars of 4G goodness. The damn Verizon antenna is right outside my office.

5. Kevin-B

Kevin-B Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Signal strength is much better than my Galaxy Nexus. In my office building my GNex pulled in no signal at all of any kind -- voice, data, nothing. My brand new Droid Maxx get at least some 3G most of the time, and in some parts of the building I have a couple bars of 4G.
    In fact, that's part of the reason I bought a Motorola phone this time, as appealing as the S4 looked. My GNex melted down irreparably about 2 weeks ago, so I had to pull out my OG Droid until I bought a new phone. I was astonished at how strong the Motorola signal was, how loud the speaker was, and how well the battery performed. Those are pretty important features to me, so I sprung for the Maxx. Three days later, seems like a good choice.