Signal? Zip Code help?Support

1. Leelouster

Leelouster Member

I got this phone a week ago while I was at Houston, TX. I live in Los Fresnos, TX. and when I activated my phone, the Straight Talk (I have this phone with Straight Talk) representative told me that the zip code from Los Fresnos was unavailable with the phone I was trying to register with. So...I gave her the zip code from Brownsvile TX. (It's a little below Los Fresnos) and it worked? So while I was at Houston...I had full bars almost all the time. Then last night when we were coming back from Houston, about 3/4 of the way, I started having trouble with the signal.

Now that I'm at my house in Los Fresnos, Tx, I get only 1-3 bars at a time. Sometimes 4, but it immediately goes back to 2 bars or something. So my question is...if I had full bars in Houston with a Brownsvile zip code...can I call Straight Talk and tell them to change my zip code to the Houston one? Because on their website, I looked at the coverage map, and Houston has pretty good coverage, unlike Los Fresnos...

Please help :(

I'm planning on rooting my phone...will this help at all? I want to see if I can change the baseband or whatever it's called and see if I can get better signal...but honestly I don't want to go though all of the trouble. -_- I was thinking of installing a new PRL because "Update PRL" on my "About Phone" didn't do anything for my signal...but someone on this forum talking about PRL's said, "A PRL might work great one day, and suck the next day." or something like that, so I don't want to do that and mess up my phone.

Advertisement
    :
  2. xPureEvilx

xPureEvilx Well-Known Member

Your zip code has nothing to do with how many bars you get, It depends on what towers are near you. Straight Talk uses Sprint CDMA towers so if sprint gets bad service where you are, then your gonna get bad service with Straight Talk.

You can also go read my post on Flashing PRL files, this may improve your Signal some if you flash to a real Sprint PRL rather then the limited one Straight Talk uses.

Hope this helps,
    PureEvil
    Leelouster likes this.