• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Signature Verification Failed

nope not rooted and found it online

Well i only wanted to goto froyo so they wouldnt suspect anything when i returned it lol

If your not rooted then what would they suspect? Now once you are rooted and you need to go back to sprint for whatever reason and you dont want to unroot, then you should flash a stocked rooted 3.29 rom or unroot.

And your phone should be on 2.2 anyways...

Upvote 0
If your not rooted then what would they suspect? Now once you are rooted and you need to go back to sprint for whatever reason and you dont want to unroot, then you should flash a stocked rooted 3.29 rom or unroot.

And your phone should be on 2.2 anyways...
I used toast method of rooting my phone which means going back to 2.1
my computer wont recognize my phone which means i cant flash anything becasue im using Evo recovery.

Upvote 0
nope not rooted and found it online

I used toast method of rooting my phone which means going back to 2.1
my computer wont recognize my phone which means i cant flash anything becasue im using Evo recovery.
Hmmm. When asked if you're rooted, you replied no. A few posts later, you said you rooted via Toast's method, and using Evo recovery. Having a recovery image flashed and unlocked implies that your phone is rooted. It is important to know the status of your phone, so:

a) Is your phone rooted?
b) Is your phone stock?

One of these answers is yes, and the other one has to be no. If you're not rooted (though I think you are), you don't need any help, just take the phone back. If you are rooted, we can help you get back to stock. But you need to know and understand the difference, in order to not make an avoidable mistake.

Also, is the central issue that your computer won't recognize the phone in any way, or that neither the phone nor the PC recognizes your SD card?

Upvote 0
Hmmm. When asked if you're rooted, you replied no. A few posts later, you said you rooted via Toast's method, and using Evo recovery. Having a recovery image flashed and unlocked implies that your phone is rooted. It is important to know the status of your phone, so:

a) Is your phone rooted?
b) Is your phone stock?

One of these answers is yes, and the other one has to be no. If you're not rooted (though I think you are), you don't need any help, just take the phone back. If you are rooted, we can help you get back to stock. But you need to know and understand the difference, in order to not make an avoidable mistake.

Also, is the central issue that your computer won't recognize the phone in any way, or that neither the phone nor the PC recognizes your SD card?
\
I was rooted. then reverted back to 2.1. Stock is 2.2 because i got my phone last week. I flashed a kernel and all hell broke loose in my phone... I dont want them to think when i return my phone to get a new one i tried to root cuz its on 2.1

Upvote 0
\
I was rooted. then reverted back to 2.1. Stock is 2.2 because i got my phone last week. I flashed a kernel and all hell broke loose in my phone... I dont want them to think when i return my phone to get a new one i tried to root cuz its on 2.1

So just unroot. Either follow the tutorial in the rooting for dummies thread or run the RUU that can be found over at XDA.

And are you taking it back to sprint because your phone is acting funny after you flashed a kernel?

Upvote 0
I'm still not getting it. Are we talking about two different phones, one rooted, one stock?

If you used Toast's method and reverted to 2.1, your phone is rooted. The only way you can flash a kernel is via recovery, and if you can get into recovery, then you're rooted. A stock phone is one thing, but if you're running a stock ROM on a rooted phone, you still have a rooted phone.

Or are you saying that you've received a new phone from Sprint that is still stock (not rooted), and you still owe Sprint your old rooted phone? A phone either can't/won't read an SD card, and your PC can't/won't recognize it, so that you can't RUU it back to stock before you return it? Is that your situation?

Reactions: wrapkgb
Upvote 0
I'm still not getting it. Are we talking about two different phones, one rooted, one stock?

If you used Toast's method and reverted to 2.1, your phone is rooted. The only way you can flash a kernel is via recovery, and if you can get into recovery, then you're rooted. A stock phone is one thing, but if you're running a stock ROM on a rooted phone, you still have a rooted phone.

Or are you saying that you've received a new phone from Sprint that is still stock (not rooted), and you still owe Sprint your old rooted phone? A phone either can't/won't read an SD card, and your PC can't/won't recognize it, so that you can't RUU it back to stock before you return it? Is that your situation?

HAHA This is getting funny now. I think we are all missing something here...

In all seriousness, OP provide us with more info and we can help. Until then we cannot due to all of the unknowns. And just FYI if you are on 2.1, you need to flash a 2.2 rom prior to flashing a kernel.

Upvote 0

Yes. But toast method to 2.1 requires unrevoked. So if i just revert back 2.1 pc36img , i wont be rooted. But i dont want them to think i did root.

Upvote 0
Yes. But toast method to 2.1 requires unrevoked. So if i just revert back 2.1 pc36img , i wont be rooted. But i dont want them to think i did root.

Dude if you want help PLEASE explain what the current status is of you phone! Everyone in this thread is majorly confused.

Here is what we know... you tried to root via toasts method. What we don't understand is did you root 2.1 or did you not?

Here is a simple layout of what we need to help. You are all over the place.

Are you currently on 2.2 or 2.1?
Rooted or unrooted?

If you are rooted and want to unroot just run the 3.29 RUU. If you take your phone into sprint they are going to be curious as to why you are now on 2.1 when you recieved your phone not to long ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones